Question about navigating as a physician assistant in the navy

18 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

Zero unless you are the department head.

Okay is there a way to request certain things to the department head. for example I’d like to attend a cme course for nexplanon insertions as well as colposcopies. So if I am able to provide that service will they accommodate that and allow me to do that or is it just what the clinic itself can handle. How accommodating is the navy in terms of increasing scope of practice by learning new procedures via cme procedures. 

Not very. When nexplanon training came to my hospital, they let me attend, but they wouldn’t let me take a half day of leave to take it earlier when it was across the street. They are fine with learning whatever you want, but mine never let me out of clinic to do it. I took leave and floated to other departments to learn IUD insertion, colpo, vasectomy. Tried to train to do flex sig, but never could get around that and they wouldn’t order the equipment. If the clinic doesn’t already do it and order the equipment, your not going to do it. Good news is most places will have the capability for the procedures you’re asking about.