New Grad Surgical PA Advice

Hello everyone! I just started my new job as a new grad in thoracic surgery.  I feel good seeing patients in clinic and rounding on post-op patients, however I am really struggling in the OR. I still don't have the camera movements down for thoracoscopic procedures and I feel like it takes me a long time to get used to using the instruments. I am also having trouble closing the incisions as I have only done superficial wounds before. I can feel my attendings getting impatient with me.  I am just curious if any other surgical PA's had a similar experience and if/how it got better. 

That stuff takes time to learn, and even longer to get good at. Around 3-12 months you'll be comfortable with the incisions and 1-2 years for the scope probably. This all depends on how often you are in the OR. I don't know how difficult the thoracoscope is to learn, I'm in ortho so had to learn the 30 degree arthroscope for shoulders and knees and the 70 degree for hips. I still have trouble with the hips sometimes since it's such a tight space.

Maybe finding a good course to take for practice? Is there access to a simulation lab to play around with the equipment (i.e. are you in an academic center?)

Found this with some rapid Google-Fu

https://surgery.duke.edu/education-and-training/advanced-education/center-surgical-education-and-innovation/courses/thoracic-surgery/2019-duke-masters-minimally-invasive-thoracic-surgery-conference

There are courses and materials that can help you to do deep closures. Surgery and first Assisting takes time and devotion. Laparoscopic and thorascopic techniques also take time and you need to continue to try your best, ask other PAs for advice and remember that you can visualize externally the area that you are approaching internally. there are also laparoscopic courses which could be helpful to you. I have done this for four decades and have never done a robotic procedure. I am amazed at the agility of all of these young, female PAs who have been birthed over the last ten years. In the military of many countries, females are used as snipers because of their steady hands. You will master all these things in due time, Penny.