Employment Verification with W2

Question here: 

I understand that state licensing may require CV and healthcare employment verification, however how often does a potential employer for a new graduate ask for W2 as proof of previous healthcare employment? Is this something done to select candidates or is this a common procedure for the onboarding process in every hospital? 

Thanks! 

MA

On 10/2/2019 at 6:06 PM, emzemt713 said:

Question here: 

I understand that state licensing may require CV and healthcare employment verification, however how often does a potential employer for a new graduate ask for W2 as proof of previous healthcare employment? Is this something done to select candidates or is this a common procedure for the onboarding process in every hospital? 

Thanks! 

MA

New grad? So you wouldn’t be handing them a W2 from a previous PA job? Less of a big deal if they are seeing a W2 from, say, your job as a scribe or EMT, or maybe even an RN. And it doesn’t mean you can’t photocopy a W2 with the wage blotted out.  

• Like 1

• Administrator
14 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

And it doesn’t mean you can’t photocopy a W2 with the wage blotted out.  

You'd have to obscure just about everything on the form if you wanted to hide compensation data, since everything else depends on that, and compensation could be reverse-engineered from e.g., Medicare tax data.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rev ronin said:

You'd have to obscure just about everything on the form if you wanted to hide compensation data, since everything else depends on that, and compensation could be reverse-engineered from e.g., Medicare tax data.

That’s true. So they’d get a form that basically had everything blacked out, except the proof of employment they were asking for. Make the photocopy of the original, black out all the wage and tax data, photocopy it again. When they ask, you say “I thought you just needed proof of employment, not private and protected wage data”. I don’t even think it would get that far because they’d have to come back and ask you for it. “Why do you need my wages?”. 

But yeah, a new grad would have something like “CNA” as their previous work history. They probably can’t glean that much out of that wage history except to not how far they’ve come if their new wage is at a PAs level. An experienced PA would respond with “pound sand” if they got that request. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/7/2019 at 11:27 AM, Reality Check 2 said:

In all my years I have never been asked for a W2 for anything other than by my accountant for taxes.

If they want proof of employment, then a prior employer can write a 1 line letter on letterhead stating that John/Jane Doe worked here from X Date to X Date. End of statement.

Otherwise - Nunya..... none ya business

Thank you, that is exactly what I will do!