NEW GRAD Orthopedic PA position in CA

Hi! 

I am a NEW GRAD with an offer in the Central Valley of CA (not a major coastal city). I am from a major coastal city in CA, so I am a bit unsure about salaries out there. What do you guys think of this? Really appreciate all the help!

Salary: $100,000 (but $24/hr till CA license rolls in, which I heard can take foreverrrr)

Shift: M-F 8a-5p, no call..... 4 days clinic/ 1 day OR

CME: $1,000

License/Cert allowance: $600/yr

Match: 3% match

PTO:2 weeks (not too happy about this - did not mention sick days)

Benefit: ONLY medical

Malpractice: Tail covered

Can't help but think the salary is a bit low for simply being in CA (I know a classmate who got 120k in a larger coastal city but does have 1:6 call) and the benefits could be a bit better. They seem to be really pushing me to sign, which is throwing some flags for me. 

Surgeon was willing to train though and office staff seems nice!

Edited by 8123

You can sometimes get better offers in the central valley because it's harder to get good people up there. I think it's a low offer, you should negotiate. Are you in Fresno or Bakersfield? Also, CA license doesn't take that long, I think mines came in under a month.

Salary is good, but you should have a bonus based on productivity on top of that. When I started (LA) as a new grad 3-4 years ago (again ortho), my salary was 95K but I have 10% of all collections as a bonus. That's like 20-50K depending. I am also 5 days a week, no call.

CME is low, that's the cost of a typical ortho conference not including travel, lodging and food. You need at least double. You should also get at MINIMUM 3 days off for CME.

Why do they have to put a number on the license/certs? They should just cover state licence, NCCPA, and DEA when it comes up.

Match is okay.

PTO is low, I would push for another week on this, especially if there's no separate sick days.

Frankly for the CV 100k is low. 

I made a switch from family med to ortho sports med ~4 years ago for 121k. 6 months of exp as PA-C. That year made 156k (W2) with production bonus. 

I’m in the OR 1 day per week, 4 days in office. Work approx 36hrs/wk. 

I take voluntary call 72hr q7weeks, Fri-Sun. Split the call stipend with my supervising surgeon. 

Vacation is weak, even my friends in family med started at 4 weeks PTO. I get every 1st Fri off, federal holidays, 5 weeks PTO (loaded up front on Jan 1st), 40hrs sick time. 

Your offer is not generous at all. 

If you are replacing someone, ask to speak to that PA. I did. Or ask to speak to any of the APPs that currently work there before deciding to sign a contract. 

17 minutes ago, OrthoSportsMedPA said:

made a switch from family med to ortho sports med ~4 years ago for 121k. 6 months of exp as PA-C. That year made 156k (W2) with production bonus. 

I’m in the OR 1 day per week, 4 days in office. Work approx 36hrs/wk.

How many patients do you see in a day? How does your bonus work?

On 10/3/2019 at 9:11 PM, OrthoSportsMedPA said:

I see ~30pt day, bonus is calculated on combined surgeon and my income. 
I have access to billing and collectibles. In short my SP pays himself ~700k/yr and my bonus is structured on what is profit after overhead. 

You see 30 patients a day and only work 36/hours per week including an OR day? Good for you man. I'm a lot slower. Yesterday I discharged a patient from the hospital, and saw 27 or 28 patients in clinic. Took me close to 10 hours and I still have a few charts left to complete.

23 hours ago, mgriffiths said:

I'm sure I could figure it out...but good God, I don't even know what I would do with that kind of money.

I could pay off my house, cars, and do an extensive indoor/outdoor renovation in 2 years lol

On 10/3/2019 at 8:00 PM, AbeTheBabe said:

You can sometimes get better offers in the central valley because it's harder to get good people up there. I think it's a low offer, you should negotiate. Are you in Fresno or Bakersfield? Also, CA license doesn't take that long, I think mines came in under a month.

Salary is good, but you should have a bonus based on productivity on top of that. When I started (LA) as a new grad 3-4 years ago (again ortho), my salary was 95K but I have 10% of all collections as a bonus. That's like 20-50K depending. I am also 5 days a week, no call.

CME is low, that's the cost of a typical ortho conference not including travel, lodging and food. You need at least double. You should also get at MINIMUM 3 days off for CME.

Why do they have to put a number on the license/certs? They should just cover state licence, NCCPA, and DEA when it comes up.

Match is okay.

PTO is low, I would push for another week on this, especially if there's no separate sick days.

Hey! I sent you a PM of which city it's in, and really appreciate your help! Feel free to reply here or there