Contract/Salary negotiations help

Hello,

I'm coming up on 2 years as a PA in my first job out of school. I work for a very large, very successful private cardiology practice in the northeast. My initial contract is about to expire. It includes 90K, 4 weeks vacation, all paid licencing fees, etc. I got $1000 bonus last year and expect that this year as well. I also get $375 quarterly for gas and tolls.

Going forward they are offering me a 3 year contract with structured raises. Year 1: $100k; Year 2: $110k; Year 3: $115k. My role will also be expanded from 100% inpatient to a few days a week in the office for preop clearances and to help start up a CHF clinic - both of which I'm interested in doing.

But I have to say I'm underwhelmed by how much they're offering. I know of PAs that were making $115 or more out of school, let alone 5 years into their career. On the flip side I really really like my job. I love cardiology, the location is great and I get a fair bit of autonomy. My schedule isn't that bad either - I work every 6th weekend (no post call day though) and I frequently come in late and leave early so not uncommon to work 6.5-7 hr days (I've become a fairly fast rounder). I'm also a single guy without a family to support so money is not a huge issue for me right now (but it would be nice...). 

I guess my question is am I getting completely ripped off here? And should I ask for more money and if yes how much more should I ask for without seeming greedy? And should i try to condense it into another 2 year contract instead of 3? Or at least try to squeeze another week vacation? If it helps at all I'm confident they really like me as I've heard a lot of good things about my performance. I also see about 15 to 25 patients a day.

Thanks in advance.

Condense to a two year contract making out with $120k by the second year of that contract. Or start to open a dialogue about revenue you’ve brought in over the last year and expectations of what you’ll bring in by opening this clinic for them and then maybe spin that into receiving X amount of whatever you bring in for the group. I’d also ask for another weeks vacation. Know your value and don’t be scared to ask for what you deserve :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you love the place and see yourself working there for another 3 years, I modify the offer. 2 years into the place, I am sure they know your quality of work. keep in mind, no private jobs like this will ever offer you 100% of what you are really worth (they only offer you something that will allow them to sleep at night).  Also, keep in mind, EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Your job sounds sweet, BUT the start of the CHF clinic IS GOING TO CHANGE your work routine. Are you sure you want to lock yourself into such a big commitment?  I'd sign a 1 yr contract. if this clinic takes off smoothly, I'd sign a 2 yr after that. You don't want to commit 3 yrs and find out you hate your new routine 6 months in. 

also, you need more money. You're going 3 yrs into your career and potentially making 100k, that's low. You mentioned NOTHING about retirement package brother. 

year 3: 105k (cme: 2,300 + 1 week CME ; PTO: 4 weeks ; everything else stay the same)

year 4: 115K

year 5: 125K 

--

I have 5 yrs as a PA. ear one: 80k, year two: 94k, year five: 115K (still low to me, but i'm in NYC)

so a little update. i was able to counter w/ a 2 year contract:

year 1 (my 3rd year): 105k

year 2 (my 4th year): 115k

also managed to squeeze out 2 more days PTO as well as the knowledge that my 3 "sick days" can also count as PTO. so essentially i now have 25 PTO days/5 weeks vacation a year

all and all i'm pretty happy with how it turned out. it pains me to think i may have been able to counter w/ more but i know i can't get hung up on that thought...plus i also don't wanna come out guns ablazin' my first contract negotiation. i can see myself w/ this practice for awhile and i think the growth potential is there.

thanks for the advice, everyone. glad i took your input into consideration as it guided my counter offer

A

• Upvote 2

What a great outcome. Congrats!!

no one is ever fully happy after negotiation, what's important is that you are not feeling under compensated.

Keep your lifestyle the same and Reduce Debts, SAVE, Invest and you'll be super ready for big things.  

Edited by PC2ED

I still don't think you're making enough..

We graduated at the same time; I'm also in the northeast and made 100K as a new grad in surgery. You still work a decent amount and take call. I switched to urgent care and am at about 125K yearly now. I would've asked for more.. especially with all the bank you are making the cardiologists.

On 10/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, Monte said:

I still don't think you're making enough..

We graduated at the same time; I'm also in the northeast and made 100K as a new grad in surgery. You still work a decent amount and take call. I switched to urgent care and am at about 125K yearly now. I would've asked for more.. especially with all the bank you are making the cardiologists.

Surgery Vs Cardiology

Hospital Vs Private practice

125K in Urgent care Vs 115K in Cardio

not a fair comparison. 

I make 115K with 4 years in EM. I know people at my perdiem U.C. making 140K. 

6 hours ago, PC2ED said:

Surgery Vs Cardiology

Hospital Vs Private practice

125K in Urgent care Vs 115K in Cardio

not a fair comparison. 

I make 115K with 4 years in EM. I know people at my perdiem U.C. making 140K. 

Valid points! It's the 115K at four years of practice in the northeast that seems off to me. Either way, happy to see progress was made regardless!