What schedule do you work in your ED?

I work in the ED in a federal facility (rural IHS). We are trying to collect some data regarding ED PA's schedules and shifts around the country as our administration is considering a change in our schedule.

It would be great to know:

- how many shifts per 2-week pay period do you work?

- how long are your shifts?

- how many patients per hour are you expected to see?

- what percentage of your practice includes treating ESI 3s?

- do you get administrative time each pay period? If yes, how much and does it have to be worked on site?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by kchristian

I work exclusively nights. 6 shifts in two weeks. 12 hour shifts. There is no expectation. I have seen between 0 and 15 in a shift. Usually about 5. I also cover the inpatient floor. I get 8 hours of admin time in a 2 week period. All charting is done on shift. No idea how many are ESI 3. Probably most. Sprinkle in a few 5s and a few 1s.

Just started an ER job.  14 shifts per month, 10 hours each.  No expectation (that I know of) in terms of pts/hour.  No built in admin time.  From what I understand administration is okay if you have to stay to finish charts, some folks do them from home but then they are working for free so I will not be doing that.  No idea how many level 3's. 

• Like 1

Rural critical access hospital.  12-14 12 hour shifts/month.  All 20:00-08:00.  No paid admin time - don't need it.  Usually see 12-14 patients/shift.  Expectation is that I will handle what comes in the door other than the very few situations where I have to call in the doc.  Probably about 2% ESI 1's, 8% ESI 2's, 30% ESI 3's, 40% ESI 4's, 10% ESI 5's.  Almost all documentation completed during the shift, occasionally stay just a bit, 30-45 minutes to finish a late patient.  This is rare, but is off the clock.

On 9/25/2019 at 11:15 AM, kchristian said:

5 bed rural critical access ED, solo coverage 

- how many shifts per 2-week pay period do you work?

- how long are your shifts?

24 hours

- how many patients per hour are you expected to see?

Whatever walks in the door. Anywhere from 5-30 in 24 hours (since I’ve been here)

- what percentage of your practice includes treating ESI 3s?

No idea honestly, but likely most of what I see are 3’s

- do you get administrative time each pay period? If yes, how much and does it have to be worked on site?

No admin time.  Can usually finish charts as I see patients, always before I leave and USUALLY leave on time  

Edited by MrsGPAC

6 rural/solo 24 hr shifts/month. I see everyone who presents and do all procedures. I get all my charting done during the shift. I average 12 pts in 24 hrs. 

At per diem job I do 3 12s/month double coverage with a doc alternating pts. 15-20 pts/12 hrs. all acuities. no admin time. 

10 hours ago, EMEDPA said:

6 rural/solo 24 hr shifts/month. I see everyone who presents and do all procedures. I get all my charting done during the shift. I average 12 pts in 24 hrs. 

At per diem job I do 3 12s/month double coverage with a doc alternating pts. 15-20 pts/12 hrs. all acuities. no admin time. 

How do you work out your schedule at the per diem gig? Do you just tell them the days you are working your primary job and they work around it? Or do you schedule simultaneously?

2 hours ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

How do you work out your schedule at the per diem gig? Do you just tell them the days you are working your primary job and they work around it? Or do you schedule simultaneously?

they schedule the per diem gig months in advance. it is only 1 long weekend/month so it is easy to schedule 6 regular shifts around that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

12 12hr shifts a month  sometimes I pick up an extra shift or two.  Then I do 1-2 24hr solo coverage shifts at my part time gig.  

At my full time job I see about 20-30 pts a shift and ESI ranges from 2-5 though we help the docs with ESI 1 ... we do most of the procedures.    At my part time place see about 15-20 a shift. all range of acuity as there is no doc on site and only backup is telemed. 

no admin time. I get enough of that from my teaching job.

Thank you all for your replies. Here is some other rough data on schedules I collected:

Federal IHS facility, NM -- three 12-hour shifts per week
Federal IHS facility, NM-- three 13 or 13.5 hour shifts per week
Large HMO in NM -- 130 hours per month, shifts range from 9 to 12 hours
Small critical access ER Colorado -- 108 hours per every two weeks, shift range from 10-12 hours
Portland, OR -- eight to nine hour shifts, 14-16 shifts per month
Federal IHS Phoenix -- four 10-hour shifts per week
Idaho --  14 12-hour shifts per pay period
IHS NM -- three 12-hour shifts per week
Rural Colorado ER -- three 12-hour shifts per week