Increase in residents on every surgical service

Hi! I am a PA with vascular surgery at a trauma center. Previously, the PAs were very valued and each pa was assigned an attending and we were in the or almost every day. Now there’s this surge of residents on our service and I’ve noticed it on every other service, with the frequency of their time spent with us increasing per year and now 2 rather than just 1 come to our service.

Has this been happening to anyone else? What surgical services still tend to be resident- free? I took this job to really be in the or as much as possible and now I’m not sure how to find a job with that aspect, especially as an older PA.

If they've brought in residents to do some of the work I don't think things are going to go back to the way they were before. Is there a new surgical residency at your facility or near-by that's sending them to rotate through vascular surgery?  If so I doubt your situation will revert back to your happy baseline.   You can stay or look elsewhere.  Don't be afraid to approach a recruiter.......experienced surgical PAs are a hot commodity and you'll likely find something that will appeal to you.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:20 AM, ASL1992 said:

Hi! I am a PA with vascular surgery at a trauma center. Previously, the PAs were very valued and each pa was assigned an attending and we were in the or almost every day. Now there’s this surge of residents on our service and I’ve noticed it on every other service, with the frequency of their time spent with us increasing per year and now 2 rather than just 1 come to our service.

Has this been happening to anyone else? What surgical services still tend to be resident- free? I took this job to really be in the or as much as possible and now I’m not sure how to find a job with that aspect, especially as an older PA.

Surgery residents are a hell of a lot cheaper than PAs because they are free.  Totally paid for by the federal government.

Of course they are a lot less efficient and skilled than a seasoned PA but the surgery chiefs dont care because they want the free labor and $$$ from the government.

• Upvote 2

On 9/25/2019 at 6:20 AM, ASL1992 said:

Do you feel like it is part of a broader plan to recruit said residents at the conclusion of their training? I’ve seen that with a lot of the family practice residencies in my area. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2019 at 12:11 PM, Lightspeed said:

Do you feel like it is part of a broader plan to recruit said residents at the conclusion of their training? I’ve seen that with a lot of the family practice residencies in my area. 

yeah absolutely this happens.  It's well-documented that physicians are more likely to settle in the geographic region they did their residency....so if the area is medically underserved, opening up residencies is an evidence-based remedy.