Receiving Interviews at higher ranked schools but not lower ranked schools?

I think I am over thinking this but I know it really doesn’t matter the ranking of PA schools PA schools is difficult/competitive no matter what school just to get that out of the way first. But I was curious if there is a reason why I have received interview invitations at top/higher ranked schools and not lower ranked schools? I guess it is a pleasant surprise but the schools I have interviewed at I was a little surprised I got invited to the first round if interviews and the lower ranked schools I figured that would happen with but I see many of them have started interviews and I have yet to receive an invite..? Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight in this 🙂 and again i know rank does not matter I was just curious and honored with the interviews I have received!

Thanks!  

All depends on what kind of students/class the school is looking for that year. And honestly, I think some of their decisions end up kinda arbitrary. For example, it took me a couple rounds to get an acceptance. My first cycle I received an interview at Duke and was waitlisted. The next year, I reapplied to them with an even better resume, yet I didn't even receive an interview invite. It made no sense to me at all, considering I was nearly an accepted student the year prior, but ultimately it didn't matter. I was accepted at a different school that was a much better fit for me and I'm happy where I am. Basically, don't overthink it. Like you said, the rankings mean very little. Value the interviews you've been offered. 

• Like 1

I work with a PA who is a member of the admissions board for a more highly ranked PA school. The way he described it to me one time was this: because their program is already highly ranked and respected, they can choose to accept applicants with less consideration towards stats like GPA and PCE. They're more interested in building a diverse and creative class, where as "lesser" ranked programs are more focused on traditionally academically successful students in order to take safer bets on students completing programs and passing PANCE first time.

As you said, all programs are completive and challenging to get into, it all just comes down to what a program is looking for that determines who will reach out to you first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2