Pance prep pearls v3

Hello, 

Incoming PA student coming this January. I was going to order the pance prep pearls to get ahead start on the materials but I see there’s a 3rd version coming this December. Would it be wise to wait for the 3rd edition to drop rather than the getting the second? If anyone knows did the second and first version vary much ? 

Thanks ! 

Hello, 
Incoming PA student coming this January. I was going to order the pance prep pearls to get ahead start on the materials but I see there’s a 3rd version coming this December. Would it be wise to wait for the 3rd edition to drop rather than the getting the second? If anyone knows did the second and first version vary much ? 
Thanks ! 

That is good: focusing on something with the end in mind. On the other hand, studying PANCE pearls now might be putting the cart before the horse. If you don’t focus on the basics now, pearls may make little sense.

I’d recommend reviewing anatomy and physiology. If you’re comfortable with those subjects, try some pathophysiology.

And get some sleep, make some money, and spend time with family and friends!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

The big difference between the first and second editions is that the second edition has an index, which makes it so much easier to find what you're looking for.  With the first edition, you're having to page through the text until you see what you want.  Definitely get one of the editions at some point.  Not necessarily during the didactic phase, but certainly within a few months before taking your boards.  This book is extremely helpful.  Even now in practice, I still refer to my book.  I used it so much that my copy has no front or back cover and is missing the first few and last few pages.

• Like 1

Thank you for taking the time to respond! I am refreshing pathophysio. Just wanted to get a quick start of the materials from PPP and see if I can familiarize myself with some of these topics coming from a cardiovascular icu setting I have a solid understanding of pulmonology, cardiovascular, and I.D.  Thanks again! Definitely will get the second book 

I would wait for 3rd edition. If you want to study now, I’d brush up on anatomy and physiology, as well as immunology. Once you start classes you’ll have the new edition and you can use it while studying for ClinMed exams because it has a lot of the material in a condensed format so you can make sure you know the key testable points. 

Guest thatgirlonabike

It had been a while since I'd been in school and my program director had me study Harrison's.  Its kind of expensive but much more detailed than PPP plus it gives you experience reading medical texts.  He told me the first topics that we were covering in Clin Med and those are what I focused on.   I also got the book "Pathophysiology Made Ridiculously Simple" which was a great review of physio with some pertinent path in it.  

PPP is designed as a review for AFTER you have learned about the disease process.