Attending a residency after working?

Has anyone on the forum done this? I'm highly considering applying to a surgical residency this winter/spring for next fall after working for a year (I'm a new grad and I'm kind of envious of my peers who decided to apply and do residencies). Specifically considering Hopkins, Norwalk, Monte, and Duke - please let me know about others that should be on my radar!

On 9/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

I worked for 3 years in the military/family medicine before going back to an EM residency. Worked out great. Those all look like solid programs, but I’m not as well aware of all the different surgical residencies.

Was it difficult adjusting to the hours? Did you feel like having experience under your belt ultimately helped prepare you for the demands of a residency? Thanks!

3 hours ago, scarfire said:

Was it difficult adjusting to the hours? Did you feel like having experience under your belt ultimately helped prepare you for the demands of a residency? Thanks!

It was hard being away from my daughter. I don’t think the number of hours got me as much as the totally messed up rotating schedule they do in the ED. When I was on trauma surgery, MICU, and SNICU, I worked more hours but felt better rested because it was more regular.

yes, I think being in family med and milmed prior was a big help. Out of the gate I was working on advanced specialty skills and not adjusting to being a provider, and advanced procedural pretty quickly since I had a large procedure skill set already. I wouldnt say I was a ton better than other residents at the end, but it made the transition easier

• Like 1