Hospital Medicine CAQ

Anyone else taken it? Went in there with zero prep and was disturbed by the ease of some questions and the esotericism of others.

Quoted 10wks for results, assuming they are following big chunks of results to help guide the testing process?

Edit: Also was disturbed by how much I follow regional practice patterns rather than whatever protocols they are looking at!

Edited by MediMike

Honestly I was bored. I had actually signed up for med school pre-reqs and then realized that my career is fairly amazing in its autonomy, freedom and compensation so I backed off. Took it as a challenge and as one more resume lifter.

Next step is likely an MBA/MHA with plans to step into a medical director role in my group at some point. Figured a couple more initials may help to compete with some nursing staff.

45 minutes ago, MediMike said:

Figured a couple more initials may help to compete with some nursing staff.

Nurses and the alphabet soup that follows their name....

But interesting to hear your reasoning. I, too, have considered a business education. Just not sure I have a need for it yet, or how I would specifically use it in the future. Plus, not looking for more student debt at this point.

• 11 months later...

How long did it take to get your results? Just took the EM CAQ. I was told 10 weeks, which seems ridiculous for a 125 question exam that only a handful of people take every year.

Agree it was pretty easy and some of the questions were terrible. Not necessarily esoteric, but looking at the answers I was thinking "All of these would be the dumbest next thing to do" or "Why wouldn't I get both these labs simultaneously in diabetes inspidus? Why do I have to pick one? Are you wanting me to confirm the diagnosis or rule out dangerous conditions like I should in EM?" They made it seem like in the question they wanted me to confirm the diagnosis, but I would argue my primary job is to make sure you aren't about to die, but I can do both.

On 9/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, cinntsp said:

I took it cold earlier this year and passed.  I agree with your thoughts on the questions.  

On 9/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, MediMike said:

Honestly I was bored. I had actually signed up for med school pre-reqs and then realized that my career is fairly amazing in its autonomy, freedom and compensation so I backed off. Took it as a challenge and as one more resume lifter.

Next step is likely an MBA/MHA with plans to step into a medical director role in my group at some point. Figured a couple more initials may help to compete with some nursing staff.

25 minutes ago, LT_Oneal_PAC said:

How long did it take to get your results? Just took the EM CAQ. I was told 10 weeks, which seems ridiculous for a 125 question exam that only a handful of people take every year.

Agree it was pretty easy and some of the questions were terrible. Not necessarily esoteric, but looking at the answers I was thinking "All of these would be the dumbest next thing to do" or "Why wouldn't I get both these labs simultaneously in diabetes inspidus? Why do I have to pick one? Are you wanting me to confirm the diagnosis or rule out dangerous conditions like I should in EM?" They made it seem like in the question they wanted me to confirm the diagnosis, but I would argue my primary job is to make sure you aren't about to die, but I can do both.

Pretty close to 10 weeks to be honest. I'm assuming they are waiting for a couple cohorts to take it to allow validation of questions?? 

100% concur with your assessment of the test though. While the unit is clearly different than strict hospitalist medicine I thought there'd be more overlap.

I'll be damned if I know which 3rd line PO abx is appropriate to send a MSSA SSTI home with...

Edit: Wait! You got to have questions on DI on your test? Way jelly over here...

Edited by MediMike
See above

1 hour ago, MediMike said:

Pretty close to 10 weeks to be honest. I'm assuming they are waiting for a couple cohorts to take it to allow validation of questions?? 

100% concur with your assessment of the test though. While the unit is clearly different than strict hospitalist medicine I thought there'd be more overlap.

I'll be damned if I know which 3rd line PO abx is appropriate to send a MSSA SSTI home with...

Edit: Wait! You got to have questions on DI on your test? Way jelly over here...

So many Hospitalist questions....