Over time for part time PA

16 hours ago, ventana said:

you should be paid for the hours worked

my pet peeve is that they say it is an 8 hour shift, pay you for 8 but then you are there for 2 hours after doing charts.... that is a 10 hour shift and you MUST be compensated for it...

Happens to me a lot.  We are paid via the "shift" not the hours.

21 hours ago, ventana said:

you should be paid for the hours worked

my pet peeve is that they say it is an 8 hour shift, pay you for 8 but then you are there for 2 hours after doing charts.... that is a 10 hour shift and you MUST be compensated for it...

My way around this is that I chart as I go.  If something acute walks in, fine, I will stop charting and evaluate, but I don't just mow through patients all day without any charting leaving it for the end of the day.  Yes, it slows me down, but also ensures my charting is accurate, and that I'm not working unpaid after the clinic closes.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, mgriffiths said:

My way around this is that I chart as I go.  If something acute walks in, fine, I will stop charting and evaluate, but I don't just mow through patients all day without any charting leaving it for the end of the day.  Yes, it slows me down, but also ensures my charting is accurate, and that I'm not working unpaid after the clinic closes.

I try and do the same thing on slow days, but would be out of a job in a week if I tried to do that on busy days.  All the things I would do if they wouldn't get me fired...the list is long my friend, the list is long......lol

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

I try and do the same thing on slow days, but would be out of a job in a week if I tried to do that on busy days.  All the things I would do if they wouldn't get me fired...the list is long my friend, the list is long......lol

your state labor board would feel very differently about this. This is wage theft and the only way it stops is for people to report it.  If you stay silent it will never get fixed. 

It is one fo the only times I think an anonymous complaint is reasonable - make it generic so that the they can not trace it back to you.  Do from a home computer, tell no one you are doing it, never mention it.

I finally smartened up and charted as I went - saying (correctly so) that I forgot to many details if I did not (very true)

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, ventana said:

saying (correctly so) that I forgot to many details if I did not (very true)

I had my first flu diagnosis yesterday covering our UC...with 4 more later that day.  Add that to all of the other sniffles that walked through the door it would be impossible to keep them all straight in my head until the end of the day.  Which ones mentioned ear pain, which ones had headache, which ones had fever but took ibuprofen/acetaminophen, etc., etc.?

It's the same reason I chart as I go during my normal FM clinic days.  Could I see patients faster if I charted after their visit or at the end of the day? Yes, but overall I would be less efficient because the charting at the end of the day would be slow...not to mention the interruptions.  A doc I used to work with always charted as he went, but left ALL of his messages and refills to the end of the day.  For whatever reason he would spend 1-1.5 hours at the end of the day completing these tasks, while I was able to get them done during my day in between patients.  Plus, I actually was seeing more patients than him and generally received more results, messages, and refills than he did on a daily basis - because I saw more patients.  My theory is that while he is in clinic at the end of the day he is being interrupted by his MA or the front desk with questions, or people want to talk, etc.  These all make the work less efficient.  Now, it is absolutely a good thing (usually) to develop relationships with co-workers, but for me that doesn't occur at the end of the day when I want to be home with my wife and daughter.