When you work for the FEDS, how does Malpractice and supervision work?

1.  Trying to get info on the Govt tort reform malpractice coverage while working for the feds and how it works for us?  Does it include some version of tail etc...

2.  Also, if you work for the federal Govt how does supervision work?  Are you subject to the rules of the state you are in while on federal ground practicing?

I know you can work with any state DEA so it would seem that state rules don't apply but I am trying to clarify this.  Any info is greatly appreciated!

Edited by Cideous

You mean like working in an FQHC?? Or some other gov't entity like a civilian provider on a military base?? OR the VA?? 

I know in terms of FQHC crazy zone, I can claim Federal Worker status for DEA renewal, and it's written off, which is a nice perk.  As far as practice laws, collaborative physician status is subject to my state (IL).  That doesn't matter what setting you work.  

I've always understood the malpractice coverage in TORT to mean, basically you as an individual provider, cannot be sued in a malpractice case if you employed in a setting as a federal status employee.  The Federal gov't is who gets brought to the table in lieu of an individual provider.  I've never looked into the origins of that, but I don't wonder if that's due to the more complex social-economic along w/ chronic comorbidity status patients typical of such settings??  And somewhere, I think I recall reading that TORT coverage with a federal status job is occurrence based vs claims.  I don't know if that's correct, but in the case it is, you shouldn't require tail coverage, right?  I only know, I've always been told it's good practice to get a copy of your coverage terms/limits for your personal file. 

I'm still responsible for paying my own state licensure and controlled substance state license (req'd in IL for DEA...)when they come due ever 2 years.

I'd be interested to know other's insights here. 

Cheers;)

Edited by Brigid2010

So if you are working on federal grounds you are still required to abide by the state PA medical boards when it comes to supervision?  Odd.  So in Texas, if you work down on the border you still have to go through adding your govt doc on to the TMB's website I would guess.  I'd be curious to know any fed employees in Texas and have them clarify how that works.

Thanks.