Conflict of Interest

3 hours ago, mcclane said:

Which one is that?

Sometimes ya just gotta roll the dice. (Heck, might even be more than one.)

I've seen most paramedics that become PAs become excellent PAs. I've seen a few struggle with things I would have thought would not have been a problem. I've seen a few that you just couldn't teach anything because they thought they already knew everything. 

To a large extent, success in medicine hinges on humility. Someone who comes charging in with some ax to grind with Massey doesn't fit the mold. 

Edited by CJAdmission
  • Upvote 2

For background, I am a PA, Paramedic, and on faculty at a PA Program who reviews every application.  First, there is NOTHING unethical in the data you supplied, nor is there evidence that the admission requirements were altered to fit the study.  A new program director has the authority, and likely the obligation, to set their admission standards to fit their particular mission, vision, and goals.  This is going to be a retrospective study, so your argument that it will influence anything makes no sense.  

Now, what I do find unethical, is that you helped review an application (per your own admission), and you are publicising proprietary processes.  It sounds like you have a very particular axe to grind with Scott and that should be done offline.  This whole post and your replies is VERY unprofessional and shows a distinct lack of insight on your part.  Paramedics are not the end all-be all for becoming a PA, nor is there any evidence that experience makes you a better PA.  The last thing a cardiology professor needs in a class is a whole bunch of medics who think they already know everything.

The history of our profession is not based on paramedics, it is based on Naval Corpsmen.  Please, never, ever, make a comparison on the equality of those two groups.  

I suggest that you do some soul searching, and determine if you did not get accepted because of your attitude, and not because of you experience.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, cgsarmedic said:

For background, I am a PA, Paramedic, and on faculty at a PA Program who reviews every application.  First, there is NOTHING unethical in the data you supplied, nor is there evidence that the admission requirements were altered to fit the study.  A new program director has the authority, and likely the obligation, to set their admission standards to fit their particular mission, vision, and goals.  This is going to be a retrospective study, so your argument that it will influence anything makes no sense.  

Now, what I do find unethical, is that you helped review an application (per your own admission), and you are publicising proprietary processes.  It sounds like you have a very particular axe to grind with Scott and that should be done offline.  This whole post and your replies is VERY unprofessional and shows a distinct lack of insight on your part.  Paramedics are not the end all-be all for becoming a PA, nor is there any evidence that experience makes you a better PA.  The last thing a cardiology professor needs in a class is a whole bunch of medics who think they already know everything.

The history of our profession is not based on paramedics, it is based on Naval Corpsmen.  Please, never, ever, make a comparison on the equality of those two groups.  

I suggest that you do some soul searching, and determine if you did not get accepted because of your attitude, and not because of you experience.  

And if you have access to applications, then you would have the letters from the doctors that she works with daily at your disposal.  One of which specifically addresses her eagerness to learn.

sounds like you are on the admissions board for CMU.  First of all, what makes you think im the applicant.  If my kid knew i was trolling on the PA forum she would disown me.  secondly I am small business owner and veteran and know exactly what a corpsman is, so please dont insult my intelligence.  Point is, they have many of the same education and skill sets, minus dealing with massive war trauma under fire.  They just deal with vehicle accident trauma, like the 5 fatalities on M20 2 months ago.  Or how about treating massive head trauma from the young man who commited suicide by jumping in front of a car on isabella, only to have him later die on the helicopter.  Or the human side, like transporting a beautiful elder woman with a massive rectal bleed.  Calmly talking to her about her marriage of 65 years while pumping 3 liters of blood into her.  Then doing the best she can to delicately prepare her husband and children for what SHE knows will be the end result. 

Or dealing with the lonely 82 yr old woman who was calling 911 5 times a week because she was confused about her medications.  Dealing with it by going to her house in the ambulance whenever she had spare time, checking in with her and having a cup of coffee.  Finding out it was really about simple human contact.  (Significantly reducing the strain on the already strained EMS system.)   A truley compasionate act that your 26 yr old 1yr experience family practice PA viewed as an inmature, unethical, and therefore disqualifying for your program.  And then procedes to lecture her about it in a personal interview.  Something that even Clint said made "no sense" given the complete opposite was clearly stated in Dr letters, the group interview, or with his own personal experience.

And if you have access to applications, then you would have access to the ER doctors that work with her daily.  One of which who specifically talks about her willinness to learn and improve.  And if you are so concerned about arrogance and ego, then why not contact the ER doctors directly? Or conducting the personal interview yourself instead of abdicating such a critical responsibility to young PA's with very little experience or perspective.  Or in this cycle, literaly 0 experience.  Somebody who would understand the dedication, passion, and perseverance required to complete 16 months of paramedic training concurrently with her senior year at CMU.  Or truly understand what patient advocacy and serving the community really means.  For that matter, how about just being prepared, instead of flipping through pages for 1 minute, looking for the next question to ask.

As far as talking to Dr. Massey, I would love the audience.  Maybe a little outside perspective would be healthy for a program that is according to the 2019 U.S News and World report, peer rated 144/170.  Tied for last in Michigan.  Because there is just too much to discuss here.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, gabrielled said:

...First of all, what makes you think im the applicant.  If my kid knew i was trolling on the PA forum she would disown me....  

So, let me get this straight.  Your daughter didn't get accepted to PA school, so your reaction is to come to a PA forum, and go on some long diatribe about the director of the program, tell all of us that we basically don't know shit, and finish off with a play by play report of how she helped some people on the ambulance (commonly referred to in these parts as "doing her job")?

The fact that you think your kid is a Rockstar is great.  Bitching about others not sharing that sentiment is ridiculous.  This isn't Facebook or Twitter.