Sign in to follow this  
StephanieO

Advice on accelerated BSN before PA school ?

Thanks for taking the time to read this ! So I graduated from university with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 and a science gpa of 2.85. I’ve been working full time as a patient care tech at a hospital to get my hours (so far I have around 1500) and volunteering as well. At this point, I understand that my stats are no where near competitive enough to get me into PA school, and retaking courses might be the better option. However, a few courses won’t raise my gpa. Would it make sense to do an accelerated bsn program instead ? It would be a significantly larger amount of credits, and I would at least have a job to fall back on, or even a second option (np school) if I don’t get into PA school. The only downside is the cost of the accelerated bsn program. However, if I work for a year, I should be able to pay it off and get a more “robust “ PCE. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Finntastic
      I know this is mainly a "contact the school" issue, but I'm wondering is anyone has ever had a problem with programs accepting a combined organic chem and biochem course? I just found out one of them won't allow it after I applied 😞
    • By aa1041557
      I’ve recently been offered a position as a dialysis tech in an outpatient center. I shadowed the other day and the staff seamed friendly. My main duties would be weighing patients, cannulating them and setting up the machines, drawing labs, and monitoring their vitals throughout treatment. This all would be under the supervisions of an RN. I would work 8 and 10 hour shifts. I was hoping someone who has worked as a dialysis tech or knows someone who has could give me feedback about their experiences. I do already have 2 years experience volunteering as an EMT-A on a fairly busy service and plan on continuing to do so.  

I have also been invited to interview for a medical assistant position at an urgent care, but the interview is after the deadline to decide if I’m going to accept the dialysis position. 

The pros I see in working as a dialysis tech: Getting to know my patients and their cases. Experience in the chronic disease side of medicine. 

Cons: It’s could be repetitive work and I would really only learn about kidney disease.
    • By nyc9009
      I have 2 Bachelors in Sciences.
      Bioscience & Medical Lab Scientist (Dual Degree) - Cum Laude Science Technology& Society (concentration in health and wellness) -  Cum Laude My cGPA is 3.61 with a sGPA of 3.52.
      My PCE hours are as a PT aide at a rehabilitation center and working as a MA at a clinic for a total of 1,275.  
      I have 200 hours shadowing a PA in internal medicine. 
      I have 250 hours volunteering at a place of worship, where I helped prepare and served food to the congregants. 
      I have 4 recommendation letters
      PA that I shadowed MD that i worked for  A&P professor  Molecular Biology professor  I have received good feedback on my personal statement as well. 
      I plan to submit by June 5th. 
      PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT MY CHANCES ARE!
      I am freaking out!
    • By AKay89
      Hi all! Hope everyone is having a great week.
      I've been a dietitian now for almost 7 years (times FLIES!), however, I've been thinking about perusing PA ever since I was in my dietetic internship. I went even as far as shadowing the top PA at the local hospital during my dietetic internship.
      The PA plan kind of got pushed to the side due to life, getting full time dietitian jobs, advancing in my career and etc.  
      The PA route has ALWAYS been on the back of my mind, and now more than ever. I am the main dietitian in the neurosurgical ICU at my hospital, and cover several ICU's. It is apparent how much medicine interests me and how I yearn to be able to do more clinically and for the patient. I work directly with PA's, MD's, nurses, therapists, etc. Does any know if this counts as direct patient care? Additionally, I review labs, provide tube feeding and diet/vitamins recommendations, create nutrition diagnoses, educate patients and families, and etc. 
      Also, I am 30 years old, and likely have to retake some science courses, as they are now >10 years old. Need some encouragement that I am NOT too old to do this! 
      Thanks in advanced! 
      Ali 🙂

• By samweres
      Let's post here for the 2019-2020 CASPA cycle for Drexel University to keep each other in the loop of when we applied, stats, any contact with the university, interview invites and acceptances! Good luck to everyone.

Submitted CASPA app 5/14
      Verified 5/14
      Receipt of application from Drexel (via email) 5/14

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More