Chances

Hey guys just wanted to get your opinion on what’s my chances are for PA cycle next year and what I should work on this year to have better chances. GPA is 3.8 but with CASPA taking into consideration my classes I retook and adjusting it’s only a 3.6. Science GPA is a 3.85. I’m taking the GRE again and aiming for around a 305 or above. Took it once and only achieved a 298. (Hate that test). I have 2600 hours as a pharmacy technician and I’m also nationally certified in it. I also have 700 hours as an EKG tech and am nationally certified in that also. I also did research during undergrad and have about 200 hours doing that. I’ll have about 50-100 shadowing hours by the time I apply and around 40 volunteering hours. I’ll have solid recommendation letters from a PA, former boss, and a former professor. What do you guys think? 

9 minutes ago, DomRRTtoPA said:

Hate to do this to you but...

The only thing you have to work on are your observation skills. It was the second post on this forum.

I read over that. I was just curious as if anyone had any insights on specific parts of my application such as my pharmacy technician hours, what to improve on, etc. I know that is something that is controversial in a lot of ways. Thanks for your reply though. I appreciate it. 

There are too many factors but you seem to have all your bases covered. Your chances will be directly related to the number of schools to which you apply. I would feel confident in telling you your chances are 100% if you apply to >10 schools solely based off my hours of reading this forum.  You dont even need to worry unless you are socially inept.

Just now, DomRRTtoPA said:

There are too many factors but you seem to have all your bases covered. Your chances will be directly related to the number of schools to which you apply. I would feel confident in telling you your chances are 100% if you apply to >10 schools solely based off my hours of reading this forum.  You dont even need to worry unless you are socially inept.

Great. Last question, or two actually, should I still work on getting more patient care experience that’s hands on considering I only have 700 hours of direct patient care? The reason I ask is because I currently have a job that isn’t HCE related but it pays very well and I have financial obligations including paying my way through school without loans. I can make it work doing a health care job again but it would be tough. Also, should I focus on schools that don’t require GRE since my score isn’t great at all. I plan on retaking but i can’t guarantee I’ll get a great score the second time. 

If you reported your GRE score to CASPA they will give the score to every school you apply whether or not it is required. Schools dont care very much about the GRE unless you fall very short of their standard. I would say its probably the least important part of any application. 

As far as your HCE 700 seems to be more than enough, as long as you meet your specific programs minimum. We might be in the same applicant pool and I have over 25,000 hours HCE. Different programs have different focuses, contact them.