EMEDPA

wrist watch thread

543 posts in this topic

along the lines of the what kind of car do you drive thread....

what kind of watch do you wear?

I like Seiko's. I now have 2; one belonged to my grandfather and is a self winding/automatic. probably 30-35 yrs old. the second I just got today is a seiko solar. never needs a battery change ever. it was only 72.50 on amazon. I like having a quality watch but don't like to travel with my grandfather's as it is irreplaceable. I like the look of breitlings, omegas, rolex, etc but am unwilling to drop 1500 + dollars on a watch.

this is the one I just got:

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNE039-Solar-Black-Watch/dp/B0043ZT04K/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1337291066&sr=1-1

I love the idea of a solar watch, and fully support you in your endeavor.

However, over the past few years I've gone without a wrist watch and I gotta say....I don't miss it. My phone has morphed into my timepiece- yes, even the rare occasions that I need to manually count out resps or heart rate.

I fully understand the wrist watch as a fashionable accessory for a good suit (I trust the gentlemen at Esquire with their expertise), but it just isn't enough to get me to even put new batteries in the ones that I still have.

you know how low tech I am. I just got my first phone that can text within the last 6 months and use my cell phone so infrequently that I am on a pay as you go plan for less than 100/yr.

most of my calls go like this: " I'm at the grocery store, do we need milk? ok, bye". I probably spend 10 min/mo on my cell phone or less.

Lol, that reminds me that once my younger sister asked me if I had my cell phone while we were out. I pulled it out of my purse and she asked, "What time is it?"

I've worn a watch since I was in high school. The particular one I'm wearing now I bought about 6-7 yrs ago. It's nothing special, just a slender Fossil watch with a second hand and a fairly beat up face. I like it, though, because it goes with both casual and dressy outfits, it's waterproof, and it's held up well to daily abuse. And oh, yeah...a second hand. I once bought a digital watch to wear out in the field so I wouldn't destroy my nice one; felt like a complete idiot when I realized it wasn't so helpful and that I had to mooch off other medics or patients. Lesson learned. :)

I have an old hamilton field watch that looks a lot like those timexes.

my only beef with my new watch(not really a beef, just a preference) is that the movement isn't as smooth as an automatic self winder. it's basically a quartz watch so it clicks every 2 seconds vs the smooth movement of an automatic. that, by the way, is one way to tell a fake rolex, etc from a real one. watch the second hand...

the closest im probably ever going to get to a rolex is by typing the word here.

me too. just can't see dropping several thousand dollars on a watch. 5k is a down payment on a car, not a watch...

the better of the two timexes there is by far the one with the brushed metal and leather band. the all black one is plastic, and i think the "crystal" on it is too. but when you are on the floor doing RN duties, you dont worry about having to throw it away because you have feces, spuutum, urine, other stuff splash on it (if you care about that kind of thing... i dont). that means if i need to put my whole self into getting something done, i dont drop my patient because something is flying through the air towards my wrist. both of them can stand a wipedown with the purple top super sani cloth wipe at the end of the day.

the closest im probably ever going to get to a rolex is by typing the word here.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Though completely in agreement with both you and emedpa; even if I were ludicrously rich, I think I'd have a hard time paying that much for a watch. (Also, ha, unintended pun! Love it.)

yup, 5k in addition to being a down payment on a car could be a chunk of college tuition for one of the kids.

one of my uncles got a rolex as a 30th wedding anniversay present. his kids are already out of college, he owns his retirement home and cars, etc .

I still don't think I could drop that kind of cash on a watch even under those circumstances. I would rather have a 1 month vacation in europe or something equally fun for that much money.

ouch, rolex submariner on sale 5900 dollars. add the gold trim and they are $8500:

http://ermitagejewelers.com/WatchProducts.aspx?category=40&gclid=CMfbofriiLACFQF7hwod9XZsLw

I own (my daily) an Orient automatic, a croton automatic dress watch (which I never wear) a quartz Movado, quartz Kenneth Cole dress watch (never wear these two either) a quartz chronograph pulsar, and a timex g shock digital.

My dream watch is a Breitling Transocean Chronograph..

Shiyaahright not making FP money....lol

Dare to dream.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

the orient looks like a nice watch. tissot also makes a few similar watches in the 4-500 dollar range. not bad for swiss.

the breitling transocean is a nice watch...at around 4500 bucks....I work with an er doc who collects old and valuable watches. he has> 40 from every swiss manufacturer you can name. many > 50 yrs old.

the orient looks like a nice watch. tissot also makes a few similar watches in the 4-500 dollar range. not bad for swiss.

the breitling transocean is a nice watch...at around 4500 bucks....I work with an er doc who collects old and valuable watches. he has> 40 from every swiss manufacturer you can name. many > 50 yrs old.

The orient duty is my favorite watch that I own. Its reasonably priced with a very reliable in house movement. I still want a Swiss movement auto like the breitling but justifying 4-5k for something the orient can do is impractical...

FYI on orient, it is Seiko's upscale brand and Orient Star is their top of the line. Nothing on par with breitling, omega, tag heuer, or Rolex, But Seikos and Orients in-house movement is a very reliable and reputable one.

Here's my orient:

http://orientwatchusa.com/em60001b

very nice. I love automatics and watches not requiring a yearly battery change. I figure for the price of 6 batteries I just got myself a watch(the solar) which will last for years.

I'm very attached to my Skagen. It's the only manual, self-winding watch I found that had a second hand (essential for pulses...) that was narrow enough profile that I could wear it comfortably.

I'm very attached to my Skagen. It's the only manual, self-winding watch I found that had a second hand (essential for pulses...) that was narrow enough profile that I could wear it comfortably.

Skagens are very nice. Very elegant and sleek...

I haven't worn one in yrs. Like true anomaly said....I have my phone in my civilian life and my pager at work.

Plus I can't bother to take it off/put it on every time I scrub in the OR.

When I was younger I had a very nice silver flip-open pocket watch (no watch chain, I wasn't that hip) which I loved.

And we made it 17 posts with no mention of Swatches? Show some love for the 80s....

I haven't worn one in yrs. Like true anomaly said....I have my phone in my civilian life and my pager at work.

Plus I can't bother to take it off/put it on every time I scrub in the OR.

When I was younger I had a very nice silver flip-open pocket watch (no watch chain, I wasn't that hip) which I loved.

And we made it 17 posts with no mention of Swatches? Show some love for the 80s....

If we bring up swatches, we might get into the swatch guards, then we have to talk about acid wash jeans, then mod music, then its just downhill from there....it won't be pretty....lol

I like timexes, have owned several. my first watch was a timex wind up. don't know what ever happened to it. I also had a timex titanium for a while in high school. it said waterproof to 100m on it but didn't survive a short dip in the hot tub at a party in college...

in the spirit of this thread I was looking at watches on ebay. there are some really nice omegas there with low bids. problem is they are "estate watches" meaning they belonged to someone now dead who may have been wearing the watch in question when they passed. now if it's a family member I can see wearing the watch to remember and honor them( as in my grandfathers watch from post #1 which is on my wrist as I type) but it just would feel weird to wear someone else's watch...I have had this watch serviced twice and repaired 3 times after my kids accidentally almost did it in(dropped from height, cracked case, #s fell off, etc). I will keep fixing this as long as I can get it to keep working as I have really strong memories of my grandfather and later my father wearing the watch.

Meh... We work in rooms where people died, and it's not wierd. I think I could wear an estate watch if it was a watch I was hot for. I can't sleep wearing a watch. Most people probably don't die with them on. I can't remember a code when I've seen the patient wearing a watch. I can't even remember the last inpatient I've seen with one on.

Now that made me LOL...even this early in the am....