Non-Clinical PA Jobs

I’ve got almost 9 years experience as a PA, and frankly, I can feel myself getting burned out. My hours are 9-430 in an OBGYN clinic. I was accustomed to seeing 15-20 pts a day and lately my numbers are expected to be 25-30. Everyone in my office is on edge and overly stressed, and I feel like I need a change. Recently, I was talking to a patient who is an RN and works for an insurance company. She’s very happy with what she does and her salary, and she mentioned that she does have PAs and NPs in this field. Anyone have experience with this? I’m considering applying, but I’m not 100% sure what I’m getting myself into. 

I’ve been looking. I’ve complained to my boss. I’ve made it known I’m not staying if it stays this way. We had 4 midlevels. 2 left in the past 2 months and I’m on my way out as well. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble finding an opening close to home in a field that I’m interested in. I’ve considered just quitting and hoping something comes up, but I don’t want to put my family in that situation. I’m looking for a way out and I feel stuck. 

12 hours ago, WorkingPA10 said:

I’ve been looking. I’ve complained to my boss. I’ve made it known I’m not staying if it stays this way. We had 4 midlevels. 2 left in the past 2 months and I’m on my way out as well. Unfortunately, I’m having trouble finding an opening close to home in a field that I’m interested in. I’ve considered just quitting and hoping something comes up, but I don’t want to put my family in that situation. I’m looking for a way out and I feel stuck. 

It is VERY hard to get into those insurance type jobs.  Most go to RN's with a side of business degree.  You almost need to know someone to get your foot in the door.  Other than that, we end up with the same answers we have had on all of these "what can you do with a PA degree that doesn't require you seeing patients..." and the answer is still.....Not much.  I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take it that way.  It's more of a decades long frustration with our field starting with our name.  People with "assistant" in their name just don't get hired very often into management roles.  it does happen from time to time, but they are the exception not the rule.

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 1

I’ve got almost 9 years experience as a PA, and frankly, I can feel myself getting burned out. My hours are 9-430 in an OBGYN clinic. I was accustomed to seeing 15-20 pts a day and lately my numbers are expected to be 25-30. Everyone in my office is on edge and overly stressed, and I feel like I need a change. Recently, I was talking to a patient who is an RN and works for an insurance company. She’s very happy with what she does and her salary, and she mentioned that she does have PAs and NPs in this field. Anyone have experience with this? I’m considering applying, but I’m not 100% sure what I’m getting myself into. 

Move to N. Texas and take over my job! It’s that simple. You would be burnt toast in this insurance setting rather quickly I suspect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Cideous said:

It is VERY hard to get into those insurance type jobs.  Most go to RN's with a side of business degree.  You almost need to know someone to get your foot in the door.  Other than that, we end up with the same answers we have had on all of these "what can you do with a PA degree that doesn't require you seeing patients..." and the answer is still.....Not much.  I'm not trying to be rude, so please don't take it that way.  It's more of a decades long frustration with our field starting with our name.  People with "assistant" in their name just don't get hired very often into management roles.  it does happen from time to time, but they are the exception not the rule.

You are right. I’ll explain where RNs come into the picture. There are a lot RN interventions and billing that surrounds hospital stays that RNs are better suited to. Provider billing can be very straightforward by comparison. Billing associated with home care visits and floor charges for supplies are the nickels and dimes that insurance likes to keep tabs on to avoid getting fleeced. That kind of fraud-ish potential requires someone who can spot the BS charges, like for wound care. They know that it doesn’t take X many dressings at $35 per dressing to do Y procedure Z many times per visit. They have already been able to get a handle on provider charges to the best level they can, and they are usually out front and cut and dried... those are either a “we can’t prove otherwise so yeah they needed it” or “no, that wasn’t pre authorized and we don’t think they need it”. You can reject preauth requests using a flowchart. Now it’s time to get the blood out of the stones, so to speak, and watch over the minutia.  

Medical device or pharmaceutical sales would almost certainly have an interest in your education and experience. I'd venture to bet that they would take your experience in lieu of sales/business experience that they usually call for on their job postings. In fact, I've often thought about applying for these positions as I, too, frequently have a burned out feeling. But to keep these jobs you have to perform at a certain level (ie. Sales quota) which raises its own set of challenges and concerns (at least at my current job I'm guaranteed a set amount of pay). 

Another career that I only recently learned about was that of a medical liaison. Again, these are often with pharmaceutical companies, and many prefer PhD or physician applicants, but I think as a PA youd stand a decent shot. 

If there is a PA program in their area inquire about any faculty or instructor positions.