Smile---You're on Candid Camera

3 hours ago, surgblumm said:

Who may be audio taping or video taping your exam and treatment.

http://bit.ly/patients-recording-clinical-encounters

For years I’ve considered any patient interaction I’ve had as if I was being recorded, because everyone... literally everyone, these has been carrying around a device that captures video and audio. It doesn’t matter what the state laws are regarding recording. Even with those in place, you can be dealing with losing your job or reputation despite the legal ground in place when the recording was captured. You can be right and be fired after something makes it back to your boss or on Facebook or YouTube, no matter what the law is on surveillance. And you don’t even have to be doing something wrong to be punished... your termination could be based on you simply being in a bad mood and acting short. 

• Like 1

You are a smart PA Lightspeed and took the appropriate course of action based on the situation. This is akin to working for the State Department and staying at a Hotel in Moscow. There will always be devices and unfortunately you are correct, our administrators will always be on the side of the patient rather than the PA. There 'outta be a law" about the final outcome or disposition of the complaint.

3 hours ago, surgblumm said:

You are a smart PA Lightspeed and took the appropriate course of action based on the situation. This is akin to working for the State Department and staying at a Hotel in Moscow. There will always be devices and unfortunately you are correct, our administrators will always be on the side of the patient rather than the PA. There 'outta be a law" about the final outcome or disposition of the complaint.

1.  I think Lightspeed is an NP not a PA?

2.  Moscow Hotel.  There can be no better analogy.  This is EXACTLY how I handle patient encounters,  I literally assume I am being recorded every patient encounter, because there is a high probability I am at least once a day.  Last week my nurse caught a mom trying to ninja record me doing a sports physical.  My nurse was like..."are you recording?  Please turn that off!"...

Unreal.  Scary.  and without my consent.  

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've had multiple patients ask to record me, and I have ZERO problem with it.  After probably the second time I was asked, I discussed recording visits with every new patient (and continue to do so) making it clear that I have no problem being recorded as long as they ask ahead of time.  If they do not ask and record surreptitiously then it is grounds for dismissal as I would consider that a breakdown of the patient-provider relationship.  Has only happened twice where discharge occurred, but I'm sure I've been secretly recorded many more times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mgriffiths said:

I've had multiple patients ask to record me, and I have ZERO problem with it.  After probably the second time I was asked, I discussed recording visits with every new patient (and continue to do so) making it clear that I have no problem being recorded as long as they ask ahead of time.  If they do not ask and record surreptitiously then it is grounds for dismissal as I would consider that a breakdown of the patient-provider relationship.  Has only happened twice where discharge occurred, but I'm sure I've been secretly recorded many more times.

I think that’s a good approach with sound logic behind the conditions of discharge. Since I live in psyche, I’d have to fire 3/4 of my patients if I drove any kind of hard line there. If most thought I was even watching for it, I’d see a similar mass exodus away from me. This population in general often tend to scatter if they sense any suspicion. I just assume and move on. I’d be glad if many folks did record me so they could refer back to what I said, because I don’t waste words, and many don’t seem to really listen. 

Best way to operate is simply keep a good public face, and scale back on your private face if it ends up being much different than what people see, or risk exposing your bias. A little expressed sympathy helps soothe any audience better than giving away the farm when the patient has unreasonable requests, so it’s not like you have to compromise core values when someone is trying to play gotcha. 

• Upvote 1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Lightspeed said:

That’s great, but by the time you get around to winning a court case, the damage is done, and only the lawyers end up making any money.

Court case? In Washington, it's a CRIME: I sign a complaint on the basis of obvious evidence, they get arrested, that's between the state and the accused. They get discharged from the practice--that's between them and me.

https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.73.030

• Like 1

I was recorded without my consent once. I asked legal about it. Texas is a one party state which meant only one party has to provide consent to recording. Patient edited the recording. Claimed I told him his back pain was present because he was fat and cursed at him. 

I admitted to reviewing his bmi and explaining obesity categories. Further, I reviewed the aafp risk factors for lbp including obesity. Only term ever used was morbid obesity and not anything derogatory. Additionally I never cursed at him. He simply edited the recording to go from back pain because you are obese. Wasn't hard to tell because he wasn't good at editing and you could hear the cuts. 

It is what it is. If you are concerned, find it from legal what your rights are. Always assume you are being recorded and speak as if you are. Best you can do.