Is it worth it to get NRP, PALS, CALS, ATLS etc prior to first ER Job?

Hi, I’m a new grad and very interested in working in the ER. I have my ACLS and BLS and have noticed that some companies require only those. I have a few colleagues who got ER positions right away with only those certs, but I was wondering if it might be helpful to get as many certs as possible (NRP, PALS, CALS/ATLS) prior to getting a job vs waiting for a job that may help pay for these. The current total cost for NRP + PALS + CALS is over $2000. I definitely want to take these courses and willing to pay for them on my own if they may help in getting that first job. Are there are certs that are helpful? Most of the ER’s where I live have satellite ER’s in more rural areas. (but NOT solo practice)Thanks!

• Upvote 1

I'd hold off on dropping money on those courses as long as you have the required certifications for the positions you're applying for. If you're not getting bites on your applications, then maybe consider beefing up your credentials otherwise I'd recommend waiting for your CME funds for your upcoming job to help cushion the blow. Most hospitals conduct that training throughout the year at either no cost to FT providers or at a significant discount that you can tap into your CME money for.

If you're bored/antsy to do one of the ones you mentioned, I'd recommend doing ATLS. Outstanding course. 

• Upvote 2

I'd recommend waiting for several reasons: 1) CME funds - let the employer pay for the course, 2) having experience with patients who need advanced assessment and/or interventions gives you a context that really helps you get much more out of classes like ATLS and PALS.  I'd vote for those 2 over NRP.  In 35+ years in the field and the ED, I've only had to resuscitate 2 neonates (2 too many - worst moments ever).  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I took NRP once and did not think it was a good course. PALS and APLS are much better.

At some point I think every em pa should take acls, atls, pals/apls, a difficult airway course, FCCS,  ALSO(ob), and ABLS(burns).  the big ones are acls/atls/pals/difficult airway, which also happen to be the ones needed for the em caq exam.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MedicinePower said:

CALS?

Comprehensive Advanced Life Support for Rural ER, with a trauma module. It’s regarded as the same thing as ATLS for most rural ER’s where I live in the upper Midwest. (Atleast that’s what I’ve been told by the places I’ve applied to). CALS Has an excellent reputation and well regarded by many of the ER providers in my area. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:38 AM, thulegreen1101 said:

Comprehensive Advanced Life Support for Rural ER, with a trauma module. It’s regarded as the same thing as ATLS for most rural ER’s where I live in the upper Midwest. (Atleast that’s what I’ve been told by the places I’ve applied to). CALS Has an excellent reputation and well regarded by many of the ER providers in my area. 

unfortunately it is only taught at a very limited number of centers, mostly in the Midwest.

• 2 months later...

I was lucky to land in an ED where others didn't want to work and they where in need of PAs.  Timing just worked out. Now I'm moving to AZ (wife is AD Army) and have a job there in an ED. I just finished my FCCS today and have ATLS scheduled for late January in Baltimore. I'm not sure about this whole Physician Extender thing on the ACS website. I emailed my POC there and am making sure I can get a Cert/Card at the end as its required for my next job.

On 11/15/2019 at 6:46 PM, Winter_is_coming said:

I was lucky to land in an ED where others didn't want to work and they where in need of PAs.  Timing just worked out. Now I'm moving to AZ (wife is AD Army) and have a job there in an ED. I just finished my FCCS today and have ATLS scheduled for late January in Baltimore. I'm not sure about this whole Physician Extender thing on the ACS website. I emailed my POC there and am making sure I can get a Cert/Card at the end as its required for my next job.

I got a certificate for ATLS the same as physicians did. But it’s my understanding this varies from testing sites. Would definitely verify. 

• Like 1