Hourly Rate

The fewer hours a week, the higher the likelihood of getting ridiculously high per-hour pay. $100 per hour is not unreasonable for a part time 1099 position in a niche specialty, but I've never seen a W-2 position that paid that plus benefits for a full-time job.

Actually.... I know of a job where the PA works 6 pt hours (7 total) 4 days a week with a day off/admin day every week (so it is considered a FT position) and with the salary alone the calculated per hour rate is over 100/hr and it is a W2. Including bennies and bonus structure it's much higher. Too bad they already found a PA to fill it [emoji12] Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, EMEDPA said:

I have a friend with 2 jail contracts. he does have to take phone call, but he only needs to be available(not physically present) a total of 24 hrs/month for which he is paid $4000. that is $167/hr for a part time job. 

Whoa. Is there a position available to out of state folks as well? Lol 

1 minute ago, Sed said:

Whoa. Is there a position available to out of state folks as well? Lol 

nope. he is connected in the region and has held those positions for almost 20 years. it is a sweet gig. he shows up and says I am available for the next 3 hrs. anyone need to be seen? no, I'm leaving. phone call either involves call 911 or I will see them tomorrow. 

• Like 1

I was at $120/hr at last job in corrections

Call 4-15 calls per day

My boss was a total jerk (attorney and thought he knew it all)  

I left......

I am going to solicit some contract work and I am asking ~$110/hour as a contract - (no additional expenses to the company but I have my own company)

• Like 1

I work solo coverage rural EM in Iowa at a few places. My primary job is W-2, 0.6 FTE, and I get $102/hr for that. Also get free cell, state pension, benefits, CME etc. Only caveat is that I work overnight most Sat/Sun nights, 12hr shifts.

That rate is an anomaly for this region I believe. My other jobs pay ~$25/hr less with minimal benefits. Other, slower shop I work at is $70/hr W-2 with 24hr shifts. Third shop is $75 or $77/hr. I forget because I don't work there as much. It's W-2 as well. 

Like others have said though, none of the jobs I have are for new grads. Minimum would be significant previous EMS/EM experience, but most likely needs residency training like I had or years experience. 

Despite potential pitfalls, salary can be a sword that cuts both ways. If your office doesn’t work nights, weekends, holidays, after (say) 5PM, or have any mechanism in place for anyone to be on call, then sometimes you benefit from getting paid for more than you work. 

Call isn’t my thing. Not having it has driven that home for me. Don’t care how easy it is, or how rare it’s utilized, or even how much it pays (it’s never enough). The gigs that pay $48k per year are rare enough that I’ll never get them, and the lower they pay, the bigger the struggle to decide when the turning point is where I feel comfortable being a glutton for punishment. It offends me that I’ll gladly be someone’s call prostitute for $28,000 per year, but not $20,000. So I avoided the whole struggle and looked for jobs that didn’t force me to play “would you ever”. 

In psyche, I’m seeing 1099 work above $120/hr. $100/hr is really the minimum anyone will even entertain, if posts on social media groups are to be believed. W-2 would be great at that rate, but I’ve not personally seen offer that high in that classification. However, my NP friends working on their own.... there are some crazy numbers there. Had an acquaintance inquire if I wanted to come onboard. Problem was that before deciding to expand, we had a conversation where I got the gist of how much they were making. Fast forward, and it made to easy to calculate how much they wouldn’t be paying me, and keeping instead. Came out to enough that it was clear that before I’d be signing in for something like that, I’d just go out and start my own practice. But then I’d essentially have two or three jobs, so that takes all the appeal back out of that again. 

Edited by Lightspeed
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...