New Grad UC Offer in MD

Recently graduated, looking for some feedback on an offer i received from an urgent care clinic.

• Base: 47/hr 3 13hr shifts a week. No OT differential. I plan on working 4 shifts a week. 6 mo of training with another provider. Always have an on call provider as well.
  • 401k 4% match vested after one year
  • 80 hours PTO, 40 of which can roll over into the next year
  • $1k/yr CME/licensing
  • Malpractice with tail insurance provided
  • Health insurance is decent
  • Two year noncompete with any other urgent care or emergency medicine facility within 10 miles of any of their locations.

Last one i want to negotiate. I know people there that work per diem in the ER and i know eventually i want to go into the ER so i feel as though the noncompete is a pretty limiting stipulation. Pay seems inline based on the AAPA salary report for 50th percentile in UC with 0-1yr experience, but still going to try and negotiate it.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by RedSuns

13 hours ago, RedSuns said:

Recently graduated, looking for some feedback on an offer i received from an urgent care clinic.

• Base: 47/hr 3 13hr shifts a week. No OT differential. I plan on working 4 shifts a week. 6 mo of training with another provider. Always have an on call provider as well.
  • 401k 4% match vested after one year
  • 80 hours PTO, 40 of which can roll over into the next year
  • $1k/yr CME/licensing
  • Two year noncompete with any other urgent care or emergency medicine facility within 10 miles of any of their locations.

Any advice or insight would be appreciated, thanks!

No OT differential is...ridiculous.  Onboarding time seems good, I'd ensure you have the ability to extend that if necessary.

401k looks god

PTO could be better but...shift work

CME is definitely low.  North of $2k is kind of standard these days (in my experience)

Malpractice/Insurance etc sounds great

Trash the noncompete if possible.  If not possible and you have other options I'm willing to bet you can score a better offer elsewhere.

Offer is pretty mediocre.

• Base: 47/hr 3 13hr shifts a week. No OT differential. I plan on working 4 shifts a week. 6 mo of training with another provider. Always have an on call provider as well. [Base pay is on the lower side for the area depending on where in MD. No OT differential is ridiculous. There should be incentive pay built in for hours you pick up outside of your clinical requirement]
  • 401k 4% match vested after one year [Pretty standard]
  • 80 hours PTO, 40 of which can roll over into the next year [Low, even for shift work. I'd counter for at minimum another 40 hours for a total of 120]
  • $1k/yr CME/licensing [On the lower side but there's often not much wiggle room. Paid days off for CME? What good is the funds if you can't go to conference? Standard is 2-3 days paid]
  • Two year noncompete with any other urgent care or emergency medicine facility within 10 miles of any of their locations. [Biggest no-no of your offer. What happens if the shop is a dumpster fire? Or you decide you want to see higher acuity patients in an ER. I'd fight this tooth and nail. If no budging, consider finding another shop. UC gigs are abundant in the DMV area]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...