Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Patricia5827

Did I do enough for this second try?

Recommended Posts

Hi Everyone,

 

This cycle is my second time reapplying, and Im already starting to doubt I did enough however I did work my ass off in the past two years so I just want everyones opinion and see if I did enough. First year I applied was back in 2017, I was totally new to everything. Blindly applied to 4 schools (3 I didnt even qualify for) with a Cgpa or 3.16 and sGPA of 3.12. Only experience was about 2 years as a scribe, no shadowing hours. Little volunteering hours. After that cycle, I made a two year plan.

 

- Enrolled in a local EMT program and received my license. So far have about 800 hours at an ambulance company as an EMT-B

-Shadowed multiple PAs. So far have 25 hours with cardiology PA, 100 hours with ED PA

-Received two promotions at my scribe job (One as a floor trainer and now second one in a corporate leadership position)

-Spent literally about 5 months on my essay and its killer this year. First year I blindly wrote my journey through childhood and how I got to PA. REceived a lot of good feedback on my essay this year

-LOR: 2 PA, 1 ER MD, and my professor from my EMT school who is pretty well known around the town

-Volunteering: Added previous leadership experience from college. In 2017 I was too lazy to even write down my dean list and scholarships, this year I included every recognition and scholarship.

-I joined my community's orchestra, which is something Im super passionate about. Actually its pretty much what I based my essay on, the similarities between music and medicine.

-the only thing i DIDNT work on was my gpa, because after paying for EMT school I was pretty broke. I had class inprogress in 2017 and I finished it so now it is 3.2/3.16 but my prereq GPA is in the dump (due to being immature in college) and is 2.75. I wrote about this in my essay and owned up to it and didnt spend a whole paragraph moping about it so Im hoping thats enough.

 

I also applied this year to more schools and more that I would have a chance with, so schools with lower gpas and that look at PCE more. Ive already started planning for next year if I dont get it, and am looking at local health certificate programs at my CC or to just retake the classes I got Cs in. 

 

Anyone have advice? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to first commend you for your intense efforts in your journey in becoming a physician assistant. I think it's fair to say that you have met most if not all of the criteria for an interview for PA school. In truth, the only reasonable advice that most people would offer you would be to simply raise your science GPA. Every other criteria is met or far exceeded. Just remember it only takes one interview and one acceptance so apply broadly and as early as April/May. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly not working on the GPA for 2 years might hurt you.  Applying more broadly and specifically may be the best thing you did for yourself.

Only way you'll know for sure is waiting to see what happens after applying.

  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MT2PA said:

Honestly not working on the GPA for 2 years might hurt you.  Applying more broadly and specifically may be the best thing you did for yourself.

Only way you'll know for sure is waiting to see what happens after applying.

I wish I could afford to take like 12 credits for the next 3 semesters to retake all those classes but I just don’t make enough money right now. I was thinking maybe doing an RN program to get the hours while also getting money and then reapply? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! It's awesome that you've made progress towards your application. I love the orchestra piece, and the idea for your personal statement! As for the GPA, I'd look into schools that do not have hard GPA cut offs. Explore programs that are gaining accreditation/ are newly (provisionally) accredited, or programs that take a "holistic" view of your application (like Chatham U). I didn't see anything about GRE scores: did you take the GRE? If you did well, that is another shining aspect for your application. The GPA portion is tricky, but I don't think it's a deal breaker per se. If you can afford to retake the classes, I would, but if that is not financially feasible, I'd recommend doing your research and applying strategically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CGM717 said:

Hey! It's awesome that you've made progress towards your application. I love the orchestra piece, and the idea for your personal statement! As for the GPA, I'd look into schools that do not have hard GPA cut offs. Explore programs that are gaining accreditation/ are newly (provisionally) accredited, or programs that take a "holistic" view of your application (like Chatham U). I didn't see anything about GRE scores: did you take the GRE? If you did well, that is another shining aspect for your application. The GPA portion is tricky, but I don't think it's a deal breaker per se. If you can afford to retake the classes, I would, but if that is not financially feasible, I'd recommend doing your research and applying strategically.

Oh Yes sorry GRE was pretty good! 306 total with 5.0 writing. 

 

Im trying to retake classes here and there that I can afford, if i dont get in this year ill try to take more prereqs next year. Hopefully I get in though!🤞

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you included your transcripts from emt into caspa? Most emt programs are 12 credits toward cGPA and sGPA. My EMT and Paramedic credits raised my sGPA significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would also watch out in terms of getting hours in a nursing program as a student. Most programs don't count that as direct patient care hours, trust me I did about 1500 hrs as a student athletic trainer and they told me that it only counts as healthcare hours. I think there are some programs like Salus University and Drexel that does however but I would call to verify

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, johncfl said:

Did you included your transcripts from emt into caspa? Most emt programs are 12 credits toward cGPA and sGPA. My EMT and Paramedic credits raised my sGPA significantly.

Unfortunately my emt program was not at a CC so they didn’t end up counting towards my gpa.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Patricia5827 said:

Unfortunately my emt program was not at a CC so they didn’t end up counting towards my gpa.

Mine wasn’t either. But I received a transcript with a letter grade and credit hours and it counted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, johncfl said:

Mine wasn’t either. But I received a transcript with a letter grade and credit hours and it counted.

Oh! I might try asking my school then, did you just ask them to see if they had a transcript for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Patricia5827 said:

Oh! I might try asking my school then, did you just ask them to see if they had a transcript for you?

Yup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey! I was in a similar boat, messed up during my freshman/sophomore years. I too had a low GPA. I would look at schools that have replacement GPAs. They look at CASPA GPA, sGPA, and they have their own replacement that looks at either the last 40 to 60 credits hours. There are a handful of school out there I know EVMS is one and their deadline is in March and no rolling admissions so you can update new things and submit in February, although they do require the CASPer . I would also recommend trying to find a organization to volunteer to increase your hours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More