CME benefits

HI All,

I work in inpatient medicine and recently had our CME benefits abruptly decreased without notice.  So... doing some market research.  Would you mind replying where you work (geographically) and in which field of medicine... how much CME reimbursement your employer pays per year, any CME time off per year, and is you DEA and state license part of CME reimbursements or separate funds?  I found a thread on this topic, but it was from 2013, I would like more up to date information.

My stats for others...I work inpatient medicine in Rochester, NY.  We get $1750 CME and 40 hours per year.  DEA and licenses are taken out of our CME money.

Your help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

VA - actually zero CME funds but you can submit mission critical CME and might get it covered. No extra time off as CME.

That said - VA provides a great deal on site and TMS computer system that is Category I and II. We have full UptoDate account for free. VA has their own CME - some required with paid travel. Any time off is not counted against PTO.

DEA is federal exempt - $0 cost but only works at the VA or govt.

I pay my state license and all NCCPA fees and recert fees - no longer tax deductible. All memberships are self pay.

It works for me. This cycle I have 40 extra Cat I hours and I haven’t paid for any of them.

Docs get a separate plan, so I hear. So far, my version is fine for me.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, MSPAC said:

PNW. Family medicine at an FQHC. $2500 is strictly CME money (but that is before tax so it's more like ~$1700).

What?  You shouldnt have to pay taxes on reimbursement for CME.  Better to have them cut you a separate check for that and not withhold it or declare it on your W2.  They write it of ass a business expense, so everyone wins.

$2k for CME, licensure separate, and 40 hours.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:08 AM, Boatswain2PA said:

What?  You shouldnt have to pay taxes on reimbursement for CME.  Better to have them cut you a separate check for that and not withhold it or declare it on your W2.  They write it of ass a business expense, so everyone wins.

I've brought this up but my place of employment is run by idiots set on their archaic ways.