Optional Essay Questions

Hey all, 

I am currently on CASPA filling out an application and it presents under the "Questions" tab an optional essay. I am going back and forth about whether I should write something there but wanted to hear a few thoughts about the matter first. The question is as follows........." You may use this essay to address any issues you would like the Admissions Committee to know about. This could include time lapses in higher education, academic issues, or clinical experience issues. Responding to this section is not required" 

What I am struggling with is do you think schools frown upon you not answering this question even though it clearly says optional? My dilemma is " To respond or not respond" that is the question lol...........Thoughts?

• Administrator

If you have a perfect record? Don't respond.

If you had a family member die the one semester you got a bunch of mediocre grades?  Got divorced and had the same outcome?  Assuming you chose not to address those in your personal statement, which *I* would advocate instead so every program sees your underlying history and not just those with a catchall question like this, you should address them here.