Resources for paying for PA school

For those who live in AK, AZ, NV, WY, there is a program called WICHE, they offer a 'Professional Student Exchange Program'. If you are going out of state for school to one of the approved schools for PA, then you may qualify for funding (up to $12,000 per year). The only condition is that you return to your 'home' state after school and work (no special place, just anywhere in the state). Its a great opportunity to get some help with school! The deadline is October, so those interested, you may have to apply before you are actually 'accepted' to a PA program. http://www.wiche.edu/psep

In Alaska the WICHE PSEP is available, but it only is a Student Loan that is to be paid back no matter if you stay in Alaska or not. It becomes available in July and does require a credit check. The loan also has a higher interest rate than federal loans. Additionally the main purpose of the loan is set to bridge the gap in the cost difference between typical public undergraduate degrees and attending a PA Program being more expensive. If anyone needs more info, send me message and I'll forward contact info for the Alaska side of the program.

In Alaska the WICHE PSEP is available, but it only is a Student Loan that is to be paid back no matter if you stay in Alaska or not. It becomes available in July and does require a credit check. The loan also has a higher interest rate than federal loans. Additionally the main purpose of the loan is set to bridge the gap in the cost difference between typical public undergraduate degrees and attending a PA Program being more expensive. If anyone needs more info, send me message and I'll forward contact info for the Alaska side of the program.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
For those who live in AK, AZ, NV, WY, there is a program called WICHE, they offer a 'Professional Student Exchange Program'. If you are going out of state for school to one of the approved schools for PA, then you may qualify for funding (up to $12,000 per year). The only condition is that you return to your 'home' state after school and work (no special place, just anywhere in the state). Its a great opportunity to get some help with school! The deadline is October, so those interested, you may have to apply before you are actually 'accepted' to a PA program. http://www.wiche.edu/psep

As an update...WICHE is no longer available in AZ we have a new state PA program here. Northern AZ University =)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I was recently accepted into PA school (Florida), but still ...I have 4 more interviews coming up in the next 2 weeks and one of those is my first choice school. Now the school that already accepted me starts early next year and they already sent me everything I need in order to start my financial aid process. Now my questions is, if I sign up for FAFSA and select this school, then what if I get accepted later on my first choice school, would I still be able to change schools in my FAFSA Application? Even after signing the Master Promissory Note (MPN)? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

• 1 month later...

I have 5 classes left to complete for my pre-reqs and am starting to look into resources for P.A. school. So far I have all A's. Does anyone know how much you can borrow via FAFSA? Will it cover all of the costs generally? If not, I would love some guidance on this. I am 34, single, and my parents have not gone to college, so I am kind of trying to figure this out on my own and it's a little overwhelming. Also, I am a Texas resident. My first choices for school are in Texas, but I am willing to move out of state for school, if needed.

• 4 months later...

Where on the FAFSA site are the FAQs? I was accepted to PA school - currently still finishing up college - and I didn't think I was considered an independent at 21, even if applying for grad school loans. Based on filling out FAFSA 4 years ago for undergrad, I wasn't even going to bother with it because I knew with my parents incomes I would get absolutely nothing. However, if this is the case, I want to fill out the forms since I'm pretty much cut off once I graduate and this would help so much! Thanks!

• 4 months later...
Answered my own question. It's false to say if you are working on a Masters then you are independent FYI. You must say "Yes" to at least 2 criteria that FAFSA requires...that is only one question one would say yes too. If you are over 24 and/or married then you are independent.

Where did you find the yes to two criteria?

Unless I'm looking at the wrong page it says "If you can answer Yes to any of the following questions, you are considered an independent student"

The only thing I am worried about is that it states "(Note: Health profession students may be required to provide parental information regardless of their dependency status.)"

Is anyone able to comment further on that exception?

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/help/fftoc02k.htm

• 3 months later...

The limits for federal loans are based on a reasonable standard of living for someone single. It's usually not based on your household income since you won't be working full time for it to be considered, unless you have sizeable assets or a spouse who earns enough to reduce what you will qualify for.

The latter doesn't really affect anyone's loan amounts that much. A lot of my classmates are married with children, while I'm single with no dependents. The loan still limited us to about $1600 per month and plenty could live on much less.

• 2 weeks later...

If your a veteran, has a 20% or greater service connected disability, and haven't used all your GI Bill yet I would look into Chapter 31 Voc Rehab.  They pay 100% school, pay 100% all books and tools, they buy you a printer and laptop computer, pay for your PANCE, one state lic, give you 100% BAH for the city your school is in, and they give you 100% dental at the VA (doesn't depend on % of service connected. Normally VA only does dental for 100% or service connected rating for that medical condition on your teeth) .  If you do get this you are required to maintain a GPA that the school wants, meet with a counselor once a school term to see how you are doing, maintain all medical appointments with the VA, keep a job log, take a job resume class at the VA, and report any offers you get for jobs.

This program is a lot better than the GI bill and it pays more.  You can read all about this in the military part of the forum under service connected.

• Upvote 1

@koppma speaks the truth!! I just signed my rehab plan last week!!! Between GI Bill and Voc Rehab you can get up to a combined 48 months of benefit... In other words I had 15 months remaining on my GI Bill... With Voc Rehab I get an additional 12 months equalling a total of 27 months... Guess what... MEDEX is a 27 month program :-)

If I were to use pure Post 9/11 GI Bill they would pay up to a max of $17,500 per year... My programs tuition Is something like 30,000/year... Voc Rehab pays EVERYTHING!!! The added value for voc rehab vs GI Bill is literally over $60,000!!!

• Upvote 1

HM2PA is 100% correct.  I only say things like this because I want to help others like me who deserve this.  I know this process takes for ever starting on getting the rating.  I can tell you that the voc rehab in phili is the bomb.  If your putting a package for voc rehab send me an email and ill help you out,

The school submits a projected budget, based on that you qualify for a certain number of susidised and unsubsidsed loans. If you have decent credit you can apply for Graduate school "medical or health program loans" (which is what I did) to supplement. Those are from places like Chase bank for example. Theyre considered private loans. Just be very picky about the terms if you do this. Other classmates qualified for more subsidised loans than myself, bc I had some savings, which I was forced to use. people lived with a roomie or two to cut down spending. Our budget including tuition was about 52k yr. I see now that same program is much much higher 3 yrs later. Dont know if I could swing what the budget is now and would prob only try for programs that are more reasonable. IMHO, for Ex: tuition only, of 50k yr is down right robbery considering what you get.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a question about Stafford loans and my school's financial aid dept isn't being terribly clear...

If I will be attending school from August 2014-December 2016, how much do I qualify for?

For year 2014-2015, I qualify for $20,500

For year 2015-2016, I qualify for $20,500

For year 2016-2017, do I qualify for anything (since I will be in school until Dec 2016)??

Assume I haven't had a Stafford loan before (so not going to reach the cap) and tuition alone is greater than the two $20,500 loans I'm sure I'll get.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

FYI   

The 2015 National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Repayment Program application cycle is now open and will close on March 30, 2015 at 7:30 PM EST.
This Program provides loan repayment assistance to licensed primary care medical, dental, and mental and behavioral health providers who serve in communities with limited access to health care. There are both full-time and half-time service options.
The 2015 application cycle is expected to be competitive. On average, it can take up to three weeks to complete an application so applicants are encouraged to apply early. This year the process may improve for applicants, now that some loan information can be automatically populated by theNational Student Loan Data System.

Available resources include the Application and Program Guidance and instructions on how to apply.
Technical assistance provided by NHSC program staff is available during the following dates:

NHSC Loan Repayment Application & Program Guidelines Webinar
February 3, 2015 from 8:00 – 9:30 PM EST
Access link: https://hrsaseminar....om/nhsclrp2015/
Dial-in Number: 1-888-391-6801
Passcode: 8081979
* To participate in the webinar, you will need to use both the access link and the dial-in number.

NHSC Loan Repayment Technical Assistance Conference Call #1
February 18, 2015 from 8:00 – 10:00 PM EST

NHSC Loan Repayment Technical Assistance Conference Call #2
March 11, 2015 from 8:00 – 10:00 PM EST

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...