I have recently graduated from college with my bachelors. I am not worried about my grades or GPA when applying to PA school however, I am worried about if I am doing the right Patient Care Experience or Health Care Experience. I am currently working 40 hours a week as a Physical Therapy Technician and that counts as PCE at most PA schools however, I am not interacting with the patients and learning as much. I mostly do laundry, clean up tables, and sometimes show patients exercises. I am thinking of becoming a medical scribe with Proscibe but, only working 24 to 30 hours a week. I am going to become a CNA during the fall and work part time with one job and a CNA job however, I am not sure I sure stay as a Physical Therapy Tech or become a Medical Scribe. I plan to apply to a PA program in April of 2020. 

Edited by Jones4466

Scribing is not usually considered PCE. if you want to diversify your hours you can get your CNA and keep your PT tech job until you finish the certification! I have half my hours from being a rehab aide which is essentially the same thing however i would say i spend 90% of my time with patients doing exercises and such and I like the job!

How does caspa verify the hours I work for PCE?  How do you guys verify your working hours that you collected before apply to PA schools? 

I have been a respiratory therapist for the past 15 years. Dont worry about the quality of your PCE you will get plenty of exposure once you get in to PA school.

When I was in the Army , I completed some of the most grueling training known to man. When I finally got to my permanent duty station I was set to work cleaning toilets. When my commanding officers saw how well of a job I did with cleaning toilets they eventually trusted me to do more meaningful tasks. I guess what I am saying is that its your attitude about your experience that matters the most. Take care and good luck.

I'd keep the scribe job and be a CNA/PTaide. Honestly, there's so much to learn in PA school, but I realize those in my class with higher quality PCE hours (nursing, Medics, EKG technicians, MAs, scribes) had more time to focus on actual "medicine". Where as those of us (including myself) with lower PCE hours were struggling with a lot of the medical jargon, basic labs, imaging etc.

Sure you don't interact with a patient as scribe but you're getting to see how the mindset of a clinician works, what steps they take to come up with a diagnosis, how to work up a patient, as well as the medical jargon and much more. Along with my CNA experience,  I wish I would've scribed part time as well.

On 8/19/2019 at 7:20 AM, DomRRTtoPA said:

I have been a respiratory therapist for the past 15 years. Dont worry about the quality of your PCE you will get plenty of exposure once you get in to PA school.

When I was in the Army , I completed some of the most grueling training known to man. When I finally got to my permanent duty station I was set to work cleaning toilets. When my commanding officers saw how well of a job I did with cleaning toilets they eventually trusted me to do more meaningful tasks. I guess what I am saying is that its your attitude about your experience that matters the most. Take care and good luck.

Hi!! Thank you !!

my low overall GPA from associate degree make me not a good candidate but my prerequisites itself is 3.5-3.64. So I have to focus on other areas like PCE, HCE ,volunteers and shadowing. Any devices ? I am taking upper sciences but notice it takes a lot more to bring up low GPA

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Greentman
      Hi all first time poster and excited to be on this path to becoming a PA. I just have a simple question and want some opinions on if my job would count as patient care experience. 
      Currently I work as a tech on the floor of a psychiatric emergency hospital. The hospital doesn't employ CNAs or MAs as the techs do most of the work. 
      My daily duties include triaging patients who either come through the lobby or sally-port (brought in by cops) and on the unit. During triage I do an initial assessment (what's going on and why are they here), vitals, perform labs, and check blood alcohol level if needed. I then report these findings to the nurse and enter them into the hospitals emr. A second part of my job is monitoring or leading group activities with patients on the pyschiatric unit. This includes keeping staff safe and practicing restraint and seclusion on patients if need be.
      Thank you to anyone who can give me some feedback!
    • By echixson
      Hey all Pre-PA people,

I am currently gaining patient care experience by working as a PCT at a hospital. Don't get me wrong, I like patient care and working in a hospital but I only make $12.75 an hour and it feels like I am barely making it by. Especially after spending a large chunk of change on applying to programs. I am trying to think of creative jobs to make more money but still get patient care experience but I am struggling. I have almost 6,000 hours already so I am wondering if maybe I could do something that isn't directly working with patients to make more money, but then I would miss patient care.  Does anyone else feel this way? I couldn't find anything about this and wanted to see if anyone was in the same boat as me or had any advice. 
      I hope applying for programs is going well for everyone!

Emily
    • By jewelmidori
      Planning to apply to Baylor, UT-San Antonio, and UTMB-Galveston by September. While I do not have direct patient care experience yet, I hope to be hired on for a position soon so I can put on the app that experience will be acquired before enrolled in PA school. I have two positions that I'm interviewing for next week: phlebotomist (3 months paid training included) or tissue recovery technician, which involves removing tissue from donors for transplantation. The hours for the technician position are ideal for my situation right now (nanny). Being a phlebotomist means I will have to drop everything I have going on. Will the technician position be considered novel in any way? Or even be considered direct patient care (this will be mostly with cadavers)? Or should I just go with the safe bet and throw away any semblance of a life I have before PA school?
    • By coles357
      Hi everyone,
      I know that there are a ton of posts about which route would be the best way to get to PA school but I want to get more advice/opinions for my own specific case. 
      I took all of my pre-reqs at Rutgers University and graduated May 2017.  I have shadowed an ER PA, a pediatrician and have worked as a medical scribe for over 1 year. I also recently started volunteering at UPenn as a nursing assistant. My cGPA: 3.31 and sGPA 2.89. I haven't taken my GRE yet but I plan to by the end of the year at the latest. 
      I had my heart set on applying after 1 gap year but became very discouraged after I calculated my sGPA. I didn't realize that my sGPA did not meet the minimum to apply so I didn't want to spend all that money applying but end up getting rejected. 
       With that being said, I know I need to take other science courses or retake some of the science courses I received a C in. I just don't know whether I should find a post-bacc program or just take some classes at CC to raise my GPA. After reading through many posts, I have a feeling that it does not matter where you take the courses, it just depends on how much money and time you are willing to spend. I know I also know I need to gain more PCE/HCE experience to become a better candidate. And at same time, I don't want to delay applying to PA programs any longer. 
      What do you guys think I should do from here? One of the PAs who was going to write me an LOR said that I should maybe try to apply this year b/c schools like to see persistence. I'm just not sure of how to approach my situation. I was also interested in maybe being a physical therapy aide or a medical assistant but this requires a certification. Basically, I am asking for your advice on the best way to improve my application within the next year when I apply. 
      I would really appreciate your advice and help!!! I have been very stressed out lately and it would mean so much to hear from you guys/your experience. Thank you so much for taking the time to read through my situation!!! 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More