Bailsofheyy

Can a PA specialize in nutrition and weight loss?

Hi! I’m currently an undergrad studying Nutritional Sciences and I’m thinking about PA school after. I love how there are specialities and I’m wondering if there is one for weight loss and working with patients who need to work on weight management. Is this a type of specialty or fall under a specific one? Thanks for the advice! 

Yes, its called primary care.  Its the most special.  Love your go-to attitude!  I knew a PA who was a nutritionist turned PA.  The problem is, you bill higher as a PA than as a nutritionist.  But there are special clinics with that specialized knowledge.  

the fact of the matter is, once you have that PA degree, you can do what you want to do.  Sometimes it may take some work to find.  But you will have the knowledge to excel in a field of never ending possibilities.  

This post made possible by the contributions of hope and opportunity.  And the letters U and CAN.  

• Like 2

In PC I did A LOT of weight loss/Obesity mgmt and dietary consultation. My CP was a FP who did non surgical bariatric med on the side. I picked up a few things. They do have Bariatric PAs out there who only do obesity med.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yes, there was a weight loss clinic hiring a PA/NP a few years ago.  All they did was weight loss, non-surgical.  Boring, but a no brainer type of work.  They paid no benefits though.

2 hours ago, Cideous said:

Yes, there was a weight loss clinic hiring a PA/NP a few years ago.  All they did was weight loss, non-surgical.  Boring, but a no brainer type of work.  They paid no benefits though.

For the right person, its a mental challenge, how to convince, cajole, make, persuade, wheedle, coax, talk into, maneuver,  beguile, blarney, flatter, seduce, lure, entice, tempt, inveigle someone into changing.  Well, I would avoid seducing.  And luring.  Maybe even enticing.  

Anyways, its a game of chess.  Like two submarine captains.  "The Hunt for Red October" in an exam room.

• Like 1

At Kaiser, there are APP's that work specifically in weight loss and nutrition/diet.  It's called "positive choice."

A classmate of mine practices weight loss medicine.  He does a lot with nutrition and hormone replacement. Seems like a very cushy job. 

With the increase in DM in the United States and the large number of patients who have yet to be diagnosed, the answer is yes. I would suggest getting a CDE which is available in a course that is easily attended and working in endocrinology, weight loss or attching your self to a bariatric surgery practice as the person who becomes the the "life changer."