Need advice - feeling dumb for wanting change of career

Hi guys, I'm hoping maybe I can get some help/advice/encouragement/something. I am considering changing careers and the decision is weighing really heavy on me. A little about my career path: I have been pursuing my PhD in Clinical Psychology for some time now, I have my Master's in Experimental Psychology and am currently a Clinical Research Coordinator. PhD isn't working out for me and that's ok, I guess it wasn't what I was meant to do but I need to find something fulfilling to do. I have found through my clinical research  that I am really only happy when I am seeing patients, but that's not that often. I want to be able help people and make a difference. My current job isn't challenging or fulfilling and I am not passionate about it. I am considering trying to go to PA school and then hopefully working as a psych PA down the road. I would have to take a few pre-reqs so apply but I took most in college already. My problem is, I just feel like a big fat failure that I have to go to school AGAIN to do something with my life. I feel like all I've ever done is waste time and money in school and I have nothing to show for it. Maybe I'm being hard on myself but I am really struggling with this decision because of it. I feel too afraid to just go for it and I feel stupid for wanting something else and having to change routes so many times.

Having a change of heart is not a failure in my book. Yeah you spent a lot of time and money on a path you are no longer enthusiastic for, but in the end, it’s just that-time and money. If you can find a career that you love for the rest of your working life, I think it is worth it. I would strongly recommend you spend a lot of time shadowing several PAs to make absolute certain you are making a move towards a career that you will love and that you can see yourself doing for many years to come. All careers go through phases of highs and lows, you just have to love what you’re doing enough to stick with it. Best wishes.

• 1 month later...

I feel you! I am in a similar situation. I just finished OT school going on 3 yrs ago and do not feel fulfilled in my career and have been thinking about pursing PA school. I agree with the person above and recommend shadowing PAs multiple times (and different PAs) and realize/ask about all the aspects of the job including non patient care and what that entails and how much the medical system can influence the career as well as your limitations. I am still trying to decide which route I am going and have to really weigh the pros/cons. As the person said before, every job will have cons about it as well so make sure to do your research! You are not a failure when you are striving for your happiness. Good luck to your decision!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 1:40 PM, Dddion said:

I feel you! I am in a similar situation. I just finished OT school going on 3 yrs ago and do not feel fulfilled in my career and have been thinking about pursing PA school. I agree with the person above and recommend shadowing PAs multiple times (and different PAs) and realize/ask about all the aspects of the job including non patient care and what that entails and how much the medical system can influence the career as well as your limitations. I am still trying to decide which route I am going and have to really weigh the pros/cons. As the person said before, every job will have cons about it as well so make sure to do your research! You are not a failure when you are striving for your happiness. Good luck to your decision!

those are the very reasons I switched to PA. Even during my worst days in school I still believe I made the right decision. If you have specific questions regarding pros and cons, feel free to reach out.

Nothing you learn or experience is ever really lost. You are the sum of all you've been through to get where you are, plus a great many of the skills you've picked up along the way are readily transferable. 

It would be a bigger waste for you to spend your life doing something that you don't find fulfilling. Just try to be sure this time that you're on the right path by shadowing, getting healthcare experience in some other areas, and taking a prereq or two to see how you feel.

Been there, done that. It's doable and may very well change your life. Best wishes.

PS. My best friend in medic school was a retired dentist who today practices as a psych PA.

Edited by UGoLong
  • Upvote 1