Riding off into the sunset. Who wants my cush job?

I've decided 36 years is enough since I've qualified for my second pension and I'll be turning in my notice next week with my last day being 10/31 (don't want to work another flu/holiday season).  My job will be opening shortly after I give my notice (clinic manager is already aware but I wanted them to pay for my license renewal first) and for anyone interested the job will be posted at https://garlandisd.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.  You need to fill out the online application (it is a chore) to apply.  We have a seasoned PA who frequents the forum here who will be the remaining provider.  This job will be ideal for someone who wants to wind down over the end of their career.  A couple of years of experience is preferred and frankly, I wouldn't recommend it to a new grad due to limited pathology exposure and frankly, boredom.  It is a school district clinic who sees only minor medical complaints.  No GYN, neuro/MS pain, controlled substance prescribing, serving as ones' PCP,  after hours call/weekend coverage.  It is about a cush of a job as one could imagine.  C-M insurance coverage (umbrella) provided by the district.  Hours are 10-6 M-Th and 7:30-4 on Fri during the school year.  There is a 10 week or so summer period where hours are 7:30-5 M-Th w/ Fridays off, so a three day weekend (summer hours are SUPER easy with a volume per provider of maybe 8-10 if that).  You have a built-in one week vacation without usage of personal hours the week of July 4 (district saves electricity during that week).  Extended time off without using personal hours during the holidays and spring break.

For those claiming that there aren't any good DFW jobs, especially cush ones available, this disproves the theory.  Cideous, are you listening again?  It is worth the drive from FW.  Med/dental/disaability/403b or 457 retirement options available.  Retirement pension after minimum of five years of service.  The clinic manager who I started with is leaving soon so you have your chance to leave your mark with the new administration.

As for what the future holds for me, well, I think I'll get bored after the holidays so I may become a Wallyworld greeter or maybe explore EMS instruction.  Bottom line, I won't be dealing with patients as their care provider any longer.  PM for any questions.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 6

On 8/9/2019 at 7:31 PM, GetMeOuttaThisMess said:

I've decided 36 years is enough since I've qualified for my second pension and I'll be turning in my notice next week with my last day being 10/31 (don't want to work another flu/holiday season).  My job will be opening shortly after I give my notice (clinic manager is already aware but I wanted them to pay for my license renewal first) and for anyone interested the job will be posted at https://garlandisd.tedk12.com/hire/index.aspx.  You need to fill out the online application (it is a chore) to apply.  We have a seasoned PA who frequents the forum here who will be the remaining provider.  This job will be ideal for someone who wants to wind down over the end of their career.  A couple of years of experience is preferred and frankly, I wouldn't recommend it to a new grad due to limited pathology exposure and frankly, boredom.  It is a school district clinic who sees only minor medical complaints.  No GYN, neuro/MS pain, controlled substance prescribing, serving as ones' PCP,  after hours call/weekend coverage.  It is about a cush of a job as one could imagine.  C-M insurance coverage (umbrella) provided by the district.  Hours are 10-6 M-Th and 7:30-4 on Fri during the school year.  There is a 10 week or so summer period where hours are 7:30-5 M-Th w/ Fridays off, so a three day weekend (summer hours are SUPER easy with a volume per provider of maybe 8-10 if that).  You have a built-in one week vacation without usage of personal hours the week of July 4 (district saves electricity during that week).  Extended time off without using personal hours during the holidays and spring break.

For those claiming that there aren't any good DFW jobs, especially cush ones available, this disproves the theory.  Cideous, are you listening again?  It is worth the drive from FW.  Med/dental/disaability/403b or 457 retirement options available.  Retirement pension after minimum of five years of service.  The clinic manager who I started with is leaving soon so you have your chance to leave your mark with the new administration.

As for what the future holds for me, well, I think I'll get bored after the holidays so I may become a Wallyworld greeter or maybe explore EMS instruction.  Bottom line, I won't be dealing with patients as their care provider any longer.  PM for any questions.

yippie yi yo ki yah!

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Not getting a lot of interest in this position from PA's from what I'm gathering.  If one has a year's experience in primary care I'd at least drop my hat into the ring and I suspect that you'd get an interview, though I'm not involved in the process since I'm the one retiring.  Five weeks to go so they're going to have to interview soon.  Folks, it doesn't get any easier than this, and especially considering the hours, bennies, PENSION after five years, and low stress.  No chronic condition care, no GYN/GU aside from UTI's, no worrying about narcs/psychotropics, call, patient phone calls or messages!

• 1 month later...