CAQ psychiatry

Need advice. I I want to get my CAQ in psychiatry and the requirement is 2000 hours of working in the behavioral health field. have been working in correctional medicine for 5 years and addiction/ recovery medicine for 2 years. I have dabble in treating behavior health patients but do these years qualify for 2000 hours of working in psychiatry field? 

Do I need to complete additional graduated programs in psych before I can get the CAQ? 

Does anyone know of an online program for PA to get additional training in psychiatry? 

Thank you so much.

I honestly don't know the answers to your questions for sure, so I would definitely recommend looking on the NCCPA website or contacting them for more firm information, but I doubt the time in correctional medicine would count.  The addiction/recovery medicine likely could, but would probably require a description of your role and a description of the typical patient and so forth from the practice.

As for the other questions I honestly have no idea.

You need 150 CMEs in Psychiatry (I believe it should be within the last 2 years), 2000 hours working in psychiatry and a physician attestation of your knowledge and skills needed for practice in psychiatry, including psychiatric assessment and treatment, psychiatric pharmacology. The psychiatrist must also attest that you have experience and competence in treating the majority of disorders including mood disorders, personality disorders, psychotic disorders, somatoform and factitious disorders, etc. 

... and you needs to pass your test! Other than that, you don't need anything else. I don't know of any online program for PA to get additional training in psychiatry. 

Good luck! 

Edited by PsychiatricPA
  • Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

At one point the VA hospital in Chillicothe, Ohio offered a PA psych residency.  Don't know if it still does.  Sherry Martin, PA-C was in charge.  I did part of my training there and if you're going to explore that option, I'd be glad to give you my perspective.

Here's a link:

https://www.chillicothe.va.gov/Education/Physician_Assistant_Mental_Health_Residency.asp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1