Athletic Training student to PA School

I'm currently a second year Athletic Training student in a Bachelor's program. I have interest in PA school and was wondering what the best path is for me to meet the academic and clinical requirements to apply. I have hundreds of unpaid practical experience that is assigned through my AT program but no paid experience. Would these hours count toward required clinical experience for admission to PA school or would I have to wait until I'm certified to accumulate hours in Athletic Training? Would I be better off applying for a job in a different field on top of my experience right now instead of waiting to be certified in a year and what would be a good job with a flexible schedule that I could keep up with my current clinical education?

Thanks

• Like 1

Schools typically do not count hours obtained as part of a certificate/degree program.  i.e your clinical hours for AT school won't count for anything when applying to PA school.  You need alternate experience, either some other PCE now or AT experience after graduating.  Otherwise, the pre-pa forum is invaluable.

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2019 at 6:41 AM, MT2PA said:

Schools typically do not count hours obtained as part of a certificate/degree program.  i.e your clinical hours for AT school won't count for anything when applying to PA school.  You need alternate experience, either some other PCE now or AT experience after graduating.  Otherwise, the pre-pa forum is invaluable.

I think this is false. Listed on several program's preferred work experience has being a LAT. UNC Chapel Hill to be one off the top of my head. And that is not a run of the mill school. 

15 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

I think this is false. Listed on several program's preferred work experience has being a LAT. UNC Chapel Hill to be one off the top of my head. And that is not a run of the mill school. 

AT experience, yes.  The hours your AT program requires prior to certification, no.

Most programs are pretty clear that the hours earned FOR a degree or certificate program do not count for HCE/PCE, which is what the OP was asking and what I stated in my original response.

• Like 1

So I’m currently at AT at an orthopedic clinic. Although the clinical hours I got in my program don’t count, they are on my resume and would imagine they do have a benefit (while not “counting” on paper). In terms of a job, my current job is usually 7/8am- 4/5 pm but depends on the day. I feel like I’m getting great experience and getting PCE hours while doing it. Also taking night classes to catch up on prerequisites. With the hours I have it’s pretty manageable to do work and school. I know more of the traditional AT positions at a university may be more difficult due to the unpredictable hours. One benefit to this may be that the school pays for your classes though. 

Overall, if you’re going to complete the AT degree get a job in AT. Otherwise, maybe switch to a degree with more options in the long run.