Working Part-time under a Limited Permit in NYC

Hi! I wanted some guidance from PAs who went the route of applying for a limited permit in order to work before getting licensed. I will be a fresh graduate this coming August and have been offered a job at my FM/PC rotation site. The idea of applying for a limited permit and working part-time at their office, maybe 3 days/week, while studying for my boards seems practical. What do you guys think? What would be the ballpark salary that I should push for as an unlicensed PA in a primary care setting in NYC? Any input from seasoned, professional PA-Cs would be appreciated!

Totally just my opinion but I studied full-time 4 weeks prior to taking my exam in addition to studying extensively in the 4 months leading up to the PANCE and doing a week-long board review. Studying was the only job I had and I did really well on the PANCE. Unless you're not taking the PANCE right away, I would put off working right out of school until you've taken the PANCE. Again, you may have different financial or extenuating circumstances. But you definitely don't want to have to retake the PANCE if you don't have to. Just my thoughts.

Edited by ncsunavypac
  • Like 1

Totally just my opinion but I studied full-time 4 weeks prior to taking my exam in addition to studying extensively in the 4 months leading up to the PANCE and doing a week-long board review. Studying was the only job I had and I did really well on the PANCE. Unless you're not taking the PANCE right away, I would put off working right out of school until you've taken the PANCE. Again, you may have different financial or extenuating circumstances. But you definitely don't want to have to retake the PANCE if you don't have to. Just my thoughts.

I really appreciate the honest feedback. I wanted to give a little more background about my situation. I am taking a week long board review after graduation. I will be graduating at the top of my class. I have scored really well on PACKRATs/EORs. I fully understand that the PANCE is a beast and am prepared to put in the hours to pass. I plan on only working part-time and will put in the study hours after work if need be. I can always take a couple of weeks off before I sit for the PANCE to invest more time. Some extra income on the side while I’m studying for the boards just seems appealing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk