Can PAs work as medical assistants in Massachusetts?

Hi,

I am a dec 2018 grad board certified with a MA license, but having a lot of difficulty finding a job due to the "3-5 years experience" clause and the fact that many places are now giving priority to NP.

A few months back family members had suggested I get a job as an MA but I dismissed the idea as I wanted to spend more time looking for a PA position and didn't think I would be hired as one without having completed a formal Medical Assisting program. Now over 6 months post graduation with no job offers and loan payments coming in, a few medical professionals have now mentioned the idea again.

So before I start applying I wanted to see if any one has done this or knows if it is allowed? The other hurdle of course would be if the employer would hire knowing that  I would be looking for a PA position... thoughts?

I don't think there's a formal licensing requirement to work as a medical assistant in MA. As a licensed PA, you are more than qualified I would think. The pay would be low, however.

I realize you have been looking for a while, but is the job market for new grads really that bad? Have you tried looking a bit farther out from Boston? RI, CT, NH, VT are possibilities. Are you looking for a particular specialty, or setting? 

I surmise from your posts that you graduated from MCPHS Worcester (as did I). Barbara Hayes has been sending emails out with job listings, there was one last week (in NH) open to new grads, have you spoken to her?

On 7/31/2019 at 8:28 PM, charlottew said:

I don't think there's a formal licensing requirement to work as a medical assistant in MA. As a licensed PA, you are more than qualified I would think. The pay would be low, however.

I realize you have been looking for a while, but is the job market for new grads really that bad? Have you tried looking a bit farther out from Boston? RI, CT, NH, VT are possibilities. Are you looking for a particular specialty, or setting? 

I surmise from your posts that you graduated from MCPHS Worcester (as did I). Barbara Hayes has been sending emails out with job listings, there was one last week (in NH) open to new grads, have you spoken to her?

Hi,

Yes, I have seen her emails, and applied to a few as well as spoken to the career center and alumni services. They didnt have much to offer other than I'm not the only one still looking and that I just need one place to say yes.  I am getting interviews, but they always end with the person with more experience being chosen even if they say in the posting or interview that they are open to new grads. Now that its getting further from graduation I feel like I need to be doing something relevant in order not to have a big gap, but I'm not sure what.

I had a bit of a gap before starting work, I did some part time coverage as an instructor in physical exam class in PA school. You might also consider volunteering at a local free clinic (I know there is a small network of them, in Worcester) to keep up some skills.

It does sound like the market is a bit tight for new grads. You might need to apply further away, or consider a residency.

Everything in healthcare aside from medical assistant requires a license. You will have trouble getting a medical assistant job, because as a PA looking for work it will be clear that as soon as you get a PA job, you will leave the MA job.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, charlottew said:

You will have trouble getting a medical assistant job, because as a PA looking for work it will be clear that as soon as you get a PA job, you will leave the MA job.

^^That^^ and, I wouldn't do it. It will make your resume look really bad.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Shelbelle
      Hi All!
      My name is Shelby, I am a medical assistant at a private orthopedic practice in San Mateo, CA. I have acquired over 3,000 hours of patient care experience and healthcare experience in this position. Our office is currently looking for pre-PA students to fill two available staff positions. The first is a MA/CNA position. The second is an administrative assistant position, which has the potential to move up into a MA/CNA role. Certification (CNA, MA) and experience is preferred for both positions, but not required. 
      As a small practice, we have a great team approach to patient care. You will have the opportunity to work closely with the PA and orthopedic surgeon. Many job duties allow you to be present in the room during patient visits so you can become familiar with the PA scope of practice. Additionally, both the orthopedic surgeon and PA are excellent mentors and educators. If you are eager to learn more about orthopedics and medicine in general, they are always willing to share their expertise. 
      If you live in the Bay Area or are looking to move to the Bay Area, this is a great opportunity to prepare you for PA school. Below is the job listing for both positions. 
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/hea/d/san-mateo-medical-assistant-cna-and/7185888927.html
      If you are interested, you can respond to the listing or email your cover letter and resume to ma2@oiba.us .  
    • By Shelbelle
      Hi!
      My name is Shelby, I am a medical assistant at a private orthopedic practice in San Mateo, CA. I have acquired over 3,000 hours of patient care experience and healthcare experience in this position. Our office is currently looking for pre-PA students to fill two available staff positions. The first is a MA/CNA position. The second is an administrative assistant position, which has the potential to move up into a MA/CNA role. Certification (CNA, MA) and experience is preferred for both positions, but not required. 
      As a small practice, we have a great team approach to patient care. You will have the opportunity to work closely with the PA and orthopedic surgeon. Many job duties allow you to be present in the room during patient visits so you can become familiar with the PA scope of practice. Additionally, both the orthopedic surgeon and PA are excellent mentors and educators. If you are eager to learn more about orthopedics and medicine in general, they are always willing to share their expertise. 
      If you live in the Bay Area or are looking to move to the Bay Area, this is a great opportunity to prepare you for PA school. Below is the job listing for both positions. 
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/hea/d/san-mateo-medical-assistant-cna-and/7185888927.html
      If you are interested, you can respond to the listing or email your cover letter and resume to ma2@oiba.us .  
      Thanks!
      Shelby 

• By prepa200k
      Hi! First I want to say I’m new to this forum but from looking at many posts I really enjoy how friendly everyone is 

I wanted to see other’s opinions about PCE as an Ophthalmic Assistant (COA). I believe this does qualify at many school for PCE, but I was wondering if, because a COA is all about optometry, does it make any less valuable? I have the option of doing an MA program or this COA program, but I’m more interested in the COA (and it’s cheaper). Of course I do want to be as competitive as possible, so does being an MA working in many specialities and around general general medicine more valuable to PA programs than a COA who is only around optometrists/ophthalmologists? 
    • By Henrysmith
      How can I earn CME credit online and what is the best source for online CME?
    • By mccleen
      hello,
       i'm considering applying this cycle after completing my BSc in biology this past spring. i'm not sure if there is anyone here who has had an interview invite or being accepted with similar stats. your input is greatly appreciated.
      thanks
      cGPA:3.3
      sGPA: 2.97
      Volunteering 1500
      PCE 11280 hrs
      HCE: 4500
      shadow hours: 120
      LORs: 1 MD and 2 PAs
      no GRE score, no research hrs

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More