Part-time job - Malpractice Question

Although I'm sure this has been discussed, when searching I found several helpful posts and learned more about the CM&F Group.

Anyway, I've thought about looking for PRN/Per Diem Urgent Care jobs. I currently practice at a University. 

Do most PAs carry their own insurance when they take a part-time job? I would assume this is "covered" by the group you are working for, but I haven't talked to any potential employers yet. I would assumed a limited 1000/3000 plan would be in my personal interest and I can likely get my current employer to pay for this.

Anyone have any advice or able to push me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Main employer should always carry the policy unless you are 1099 and negotiate the cost of buying your own policy (which aint cheap).  I carry the CM&F supplemental coverage, about $700 a year, and only 100/300 but the main thing is it pays for an attorney that specifically represents me, NOT the company.  But to get the supplemental you have to have a main policy in place though your employer.

• Like 1

I've got the Proliability coverage at a grandfathered $100/$300K just for the legal coverage.  My gov't position has an umbrella policy that is CM in nature so with my own policy I don't have to worry about tail.  Mine was $1021 earlier this month and at the lowest risk level for clinical practice.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess
  • Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, MediMike said:

And as a sidenote coming from one who work(ed) in a Uni system, make sure there isn't a noncompete buried in your contract.  In my experience academia is a jealous %$#^ and doesn't like to let you play outside the relationship.

Thanks. No non-compete clause, interestingly enough I work for the University and not the universities medical center.

• Upvote 1

I enjoy having a good night's sleep and not worrying about a patient who had a poor result after I may have treated them. It has not yet happened to me yet, but neither have I expired and yet have life insurance. Always have insurance and be vigilant with the part-time and moon lighting jobs as the company may disappear and the insurance may be inadequate. Get a personal liability insurance policy. I have had mine with CM&F for twenty years and am a sound sleeper.

• Upvote 1