Career counseling...any recommendations?

Hey all.

I'm professionally lost, and trying to find an experienced career counselor to help guide me towards something new in Medicine or a related field.  I have tried two so far, one of whom could only offer a few vague ideas and some resume building (but no direction), and the other who wanted me to make lists of my fantasy jobs (but offer no direction).  Trying to find someone competent who knows the medical field and knows PAs, and who can take a good inventory of skills and offer some unique direction.

If anyone has experience with one, please let me know!

Thanks

Hey all.

I'm professionally lost, and trying to find an experienced career counselor to help guide me towards something new in Medicine or a related field.  I have tried two so far, one of whom could only offer a few vague ideas and some resume building (but no direction), and the other who wanted me to make lists of my fantasy jobs (but offer no direction).  Trying to find someone competent who knows the medical field and knows PAs, and who can take a good inventory of skills and offer some unique direction.

If anyone has experience with one, please let me know!

Thanks

Been there, but not in medicine at the time. From my experience, no one can really help, like giving you sealed orders with your next job inside. I say that married to a woman with a masters in counseling. I used to tease her to help me.

Once you are way off track, all you feel is lost and in the wrong world. At least I knew I was in the right family and we weren’t starving. From there, I just tried stuff, taking the smallest steps possible to see how they made me feel and without putting my family on the street.

I spent a day with people who had jobs I thought I’d be interested in. I took night classes. I kept my part-time semi-volunteer gig as an EMT (later medic). Eventually I decided to become a PA.

Clinical rotations were similar baby steps as to what I might enjoy. I eventually decided I wanted to be farther than 3 feet from the doc, dealing with patients who are usually (but not always) awake, and working with a doc who likes to teach. I ended up in cadiology and, 13 years later, working for the same guy.

I can’t tell you what to do, but if you’re lost, I heartily recommend (1) cutting yourself slack for being lost, and (2) briefly putting yourself in new situations if only to see how it makes you feel.

Eventually you’ll find your way and also become more sensitive to changes in your work environment and in your own interests. Basically you have to keeping picking your way, like walking on odd-shaped stones to cross a stream.

Such is life! My best wishes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Sorry, I don't know any career counselors. Try taking the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. It's a test that will tell you your specific personality type and often comes with recommendations for careers that would suit you. If your results include something about practicing medicine, you can look up recommendations for which specialties you might like based on your personality type. And it's alright to be lost. Once you do find your way, you'll appreciate it that much more. Best wishes! 

• Upvote 1