Jump to content
benners2

2019-2020 University of the Cumberlands

Recommended Posts

hey guys!

So happy to hear the status changes went out today and congrats to those admitted!! If y’all have any questions about the program, the school, the area, or what to expect just ask and I’ll answer what I can! Literally any question you have I will try my best to answer!

congrats y’all and can’t wait to see you in January!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Skyler said:

Do you happen to live in the on campus apartments?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t but a lot of people in my cohort do. Call housing tomorrow and ask them how to get on the list for housing. They’ll direct you to the person you need to talk to and get you on the list. They’ll most likely tell you that you’re 60-70 on the list but I swear they tell that to everyone. My classmates that were told that pretty much all got into the housing

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everyone,

I received my acceptance on Friday and am excited to meet everyone!! This is a dream come true.

I am from Chicago, Illinois.

If you're from the CHI let me know!!!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfaroo22 said:

Hello everyone,

I received my acceptance on Friday and am excited to meet everyone!! This is a dream come true.

I am from Chicago, Illinois.

If you're from the CHI let me know!!!

I am also coming from CHI! But specifically the suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Aparsons said:

hey guys!

So happy to hear the status changes went out today and congrats to those admitted!! If y’all have any questions about the program, the school, the area, or what to expect just ask and I’ll answer what I can! Literally any question you have I will try my best to answer!

congrats y’all and can’t wait to see you in January!

Thank you so much, I did have a question.

What does the didactic year schedule look like, when was your cohorts start date and end dates for the semesters?

I am sure our dates may vary by a few days. But if you could give an estimate. 

Also, what does orientation look like, and how long is it?

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pinkpearl0995 said:

Thank you so much, I did have a question.

What does the didactic year schedule look like, when was your cohorts start date and end dates for the semesters?

I am sure our dates may vary by a few days. But if you could give an estimate. 

Also, what does orientation look like, and how long is it?

 

 

 

 

So I’m still in didactic. In semester 3 of 4. First semester you have a lighter schedule it started Jan 7 and ended April 26. It’s anatomy, physiology, intro to patient assessment, foundations to clinical medicine, and intro to the PA profession. That semester we had fridays off but usually had physiology tests and pretests on Friday. It wasn’t too bad. Second semester started May 6 and ended August 8. So you only get a week between first and second semesters and second and third semesters. This semester started August 19 and ends December 12 or 13 depending on one of the finals. Then we don’t start back until y’all do in January like the 6 or something so it’s a nice long break. Last semester we also did not have Friday classes and this semester we have only 1 class Friday that’s an hour long so not bad. If Dr. Harris teaches pharm which I’m sure he will, you will have class 4-5:30 twice a week 2nd semester to 4th semester because of his other job. The workload gets heavier as the semesters go on but it’s manageable. From 2nd semester to 4th you’ll always have patient assessment, clin med, integrations, health care issues, pharm, and patho. Then it just depends what other classes there are like now we have surgery and procedures but last semester we didn’t. We had a stats and research course. The next spring semester will end around the end of April but I’m not sure of the actual date. You’re never in class from 8-5 every day though. There’s plenty of days where we go for 3 hours but there are days where we go in 11:30-5:30 which are slightly rough but you have a lot of outside class time. 

Orientation is only one day long. It’s the first day and you go in at 8 and stay forever haha I don’t remember when we finally got to leave but it’s a long day. You get your photo ID made, you meet the professors, and we come in and talk to you guys and introduce you to our cohort and the UCPA club chairs. I can’t remember all that we did that day but it was a good bit and they will scare you with the handbook because in the handbook it’s like if you breathe the wrong way you will be kicked out! But it’s really not like that they just have to read all the rules so that you are aware of them. No one in our cohort has been kicked out and I think only 1 person has been kicked out of the program the last 5 cohorts. Our day was so long because we also had a physiology class that day so depending on your schedule it might not be as long for you. 

Also the program follows the schools schedule so you always have scheduled breaks and scheduled holidays off. Our cohort got 4th of July off but cohort 4 did not so summer is a little different sometimes. But if there is a snow day for the school the program cancels class as well. 

Sorry that is so long!!! There’s just so much info but this is the basics. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how many get put on the waitlist or the chances of getting off of the waitlist? I know they don’t give out ranks with the waitlist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure of the total number on the waitlist but I figure it’s 30-60. It always depends on the cohort but there’s a possibility that if you’re high on the list, which I know they don’t give out rankings, you can possibly get in. There’s many people in my cohort that were waitlisted. I know of at least 7 but there’s probably more I just never asked anyone and only know because they offered up the info. Keep your head up!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JLiner said:

I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how many get put on the waitlist or the chances of getting off of the waitlist? I know they don’t give out ranks with the waitlist.

I was waitlisted as well. Fingers crossed that we'll see some movement on the waitlist in the next coming weeks! I would LOVE to join y'all in January!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, pinkpearl0995 said:

I am also coming from CHI! But specifically the suburbs.

I am actually from the suburbs as well but say Chicago. I live in the western suburbs. Kentucky is going to be a change for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey y'all I'm also from cohort 5 and wanted to answer anyone's questions! Congrats on getting in and for those who are waitlisted don't worry, we had at least 8-10 people accepted off the waitlist because a lot of people ended up accepting offers closer to home. I also live on campus for whoever had a question about that! I live in the townhomes, get on the waitlist ASAP! I was 65 on the list and still got one but it wasn't until like 3 weeks before the semester started. I had another place lined up but hadn't signed the lease and went with this instead!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Aparsons said:

So I’m still in didactic. In semester 3 of 4. First semester you have a lighter schedule it started Jan 7 and ended April 26. It’s anatomy, physiology, intro to patient assessment, foundations to clinical medicine, and intro to the PA profession. That semester we had fridays off but usually had physiology tests and pretests on Friday. It wasn’t too bad. Second semester started May 6 and ended August 8. So you only get a week between first and second semesters and second and third semesters. This semester started August 19 and ends December 12 or 13 depending on one of the finals. Then we don’t start back until y’all do in January like the 6 or something so it’s a nice long break. Last semester we also did not have Friday classes and this semester we have only 1 class Friday that’s an hour long so not bad. If Dr. Harris teaches pharm which I’m sure he will, you will have class 4-5:30 twice a week 2nd semester to 4th semester because of his other job. The workload gets heavier as the semesters go on but it’s manageable. From 2nd semester to 4th you’ll always have patient assessment, clin med, integrations, health care issues, pharm, and patho. Then it just depends what other classes there are like now we have surgery and procedures but last semester we didn’t. We had a stats and research course. The next spring semester will end around the end of April but I’m not sure of the actual date. You’re never in class from 8-5 every day though. There’s plenty of days where we go for 3 hours but there are days where we go in 11:30-5:30 which are slightly rough but you have a lot of outside class time. 

Orientation is only one day long. It’s the first day and you go in at 8 and stay forever haha I don’t remember when we finally got to leave but it’s a long day. You get your photo ID made, you meet the professors, and we come in and talk to you guys and introduce you to our cohort and the UCPA club chairs. I can’t remember all that we did that day but it was a good bit and they will scare you with the handbook because in the handbook it’s like if you breathe the wrong way you will be kicked out! But it’s really not like that they just have to read all the rules so that you are aware of them. No one in our cohort has been kicked out and I think only 1 person has been kicked out of the program the last 5 cohorts. Our day was so long because we also had a physiology class that day so depending on your schedule it might not be as long for you. 

Also the program follows the schools schedule so you always have scheduled breaks and scheduled holidays off. Our cohort got 4th of July off but cohort 4 did not so summer is a little different sometimes. But if there is a snow day for the school the program cancels class as well. 

Sorry that is so long!!! There’s just so much info but this is the basics. 

Thank you so much, this clarified a lot. I appreciate it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By nhendy5
      Hello!
      I am currently waitlisted at two schools. I am sitting at #9 on the waitlist at one and unsure where I am at the second program. The second program does not give any information on where the student is on the list, but they do inform us that it is ranked based off of our interview score. I am getting extremely impatient but am trying to stay positive!! I was wondering if I should reach out to the second program to inform them of any changes to my application since my interview date in September. I have gained about 450 PCE hours and have started volunteering again. Do you think it will do any good to share this info? 
       
      Thanks in advance for any advice! 🙂 
    • By gutsybook
      Is the Northeast Pre-PA Conference legitimate? If it is, could anyone verify if it's safe to pay through the following eventbrite link:
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/second-annual-northeast-pre-physician-assistant-conference-tickets-66535863559?aff=erelexpmlt
       
      I'm honestly just clueless about conferences in general. This would be my first Pre-PA conference and I want to make sure it's a reputable conference and that it is safe to purchase tickets through the above link. If there is an actual event elsewhere, please inform me!
      Thank you all in advance!
    • By AnonnM
      Looking for some advice- I plan on applying the 2021 cycle but I’m a bit neurotic and really just need to plan out everything ahead of time.
      My cgpa and sgpa will both be around a 3.25 (currently taking post bacc classes) if I continue with an upwards trend. I should have around 2000-3000 PCE by the time I apply, I’m currently an ER scribe, volunteer EMT.
      I have about 30 PA shadowing hours but I work with a lot more pa’s in the ER now so I’ll be shadowing them; I've done some other pce work like PT aid, I also went on a medical mission trip to Nicaragua through Global Medical Brigades and worked in a community health clinic. 
      Will also be taking the GRE soon.
      I guess I’m just very afraid of getting denied, idk if I should continue to take classes at cc and boost my gpa even more (super hard bc I messed up my first two years of college) or should I do a masters? My gpa is holding me back a lot, I am trying to shine in other aspects of my app but I’m a bit lost and I just know that I want to be a PA more than anything. Are there any specific schools any of you would recommend looking more into? Anything else I can do to better my chances/ app? If you have any insight please lmk!!
    • By hy0914
      Hello All pre-PA students! We know how difficult the application process for PA school can be, and we are hoping to make it just a little easier. 
      Loma Linda University is holding their 3rd annula pre-PA conference to help prospective students learn more about the profession, application process, and our program. 
      Spend the day with Faculty, local PAs, alumni, and current students! Our main speaker for this event is Tony Adkins PA-C or more popularly known as the "dancing doc".  We will be hosting ultrasound and intubation skills labs as well as several information sessions pertaining to writing your personal statement, how to ace the interview, general Q&A, and profession information.  The goal is to show you how to become a competitive applicant!
      DON'T MISS THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN ABOUT APPLYING TO PA SCHOOL!
      LLU PA Program Admission Representatives will be in attendance. Past attendees have been accepted to LLU's PA program. Refreshments will be provided, and there will also be raffle prizes given away every hour! 
      Visit our eventbrite page for additional information and tickets! 
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-registration-85925681025
    • By hy0914
      DON'T MISS THIS AMAZING OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN ABOUT APPLYING TO PA SCHOOL!
      Greetings Future PA! You are invited to the 3rd Annual Pre-PA Conference at Loma Linda University! Spend the afternoon with Faculty, PAs, and the Classes of 2020 & 2021 for workshops, ultrasound & intubation skills labs, and information sessions designed to guide your path to becoming a Physician Assistant. Come learn more about this profession and let us show you how to create a competitive application for PA school!

      LLU PA Program Admissions Representatives will be in attendance! Past attendees have been accepted to LLU's PA program. Lunch is complimentary and we will also be giving away prizes
       
      Visit our eventbrite page for additional information and tickets! 
      https://www.eventbrite.com/e/llus-3rd-annual-pre-pa-conference-registration-85925681025
       
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More