2019-2020 University of the Cumberlands

hey guys!

So happy to hear the status changes went out today and congrats to those admitted!! If y’all have any questions about the program, the school, the area, or what to expect just ask and I’ll answer what I can! Literally any question you have I will try my best to answer!

congrats y’all and can’t wait to see you in January!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Skyler said:

Do you happen to live in the on campus apartments?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t but a lot of people in my cohort do. Call housing tomorrow and ask them how to get on the list for housing. They’ll direct you to the person you need to talk to and get you on the list. They’ll most likely tell you that you’re 60-70 on the list but I swear they tell that to everyone. My classmates that were told that pretty much all got into the housing

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Aparsons said:

hey guys!

So happy to hear the status changes went out today and congrats to those admitted!! If y’all have any questions about the program, the school, the area, or what to expect just ask and I’ll answer what I can! Literally any question you have I will try my best to answer!

congrats y’all and can’t wait to see you in January!

Thank you so much, I did have a question.

What does the didactic year schedule look like, when was your cohorts start date and end dates for the semesters?

I am sure our dates may vary by a few days. But if you could give an estimate. 

Also, what does orientation look like, and how long is it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pinkpearl0995 said:

Thank you so much, I did have a question.

What does the didactic year schedule look like, when was your cohorts start date and end dates for the semesters?

I am sure our dates may vary by a few days. But if you could give an estimate. 

Also, what does orientation look like, and how long is it?

So I’m still in didactic. In semester 3 of 4. First semester you have a lighter schedule it started Jan 7 and ended April 26. It’s anatomy, physiology, intro to patient assessment, foundations to clinical medicine, and intro to the PA profession. That semester we had fridays off but usually had physiology tests and pretests on Friday. It wasn’t too bad. Second semester started May 6 and ended August 8. So you only get a week between first and second semesters and second and third semesters. This semester started August 19 and ends December 12 or 13 depending on one of the finals. Then we don’t start back until y’all do in January like the 6 or something so it’s a nice long break. Last semester we also did not have Friday classes and this semester we have only 1 class Friday that’s an hour long so not bad. If Dr. Harris teaches pharm which I’m sure he will, you will have class 4-5:30 twice a week 2nd semester to 4th semester because of his other job. The workload gets heavier as the semesters go on but it’s manageable. From 2nd semester to 4th you’ll always have patient assessment, clin med, integrations, health care issues, pharm, and patho. Then it just depends what other classes there are like now we have surgery and procedures but last semester we didn’t. We had a stats and research course. The next spring semester will end around the end of April but I’m not sure of the actual date. You’re never in class from 8-5 every day though. There’s plenty of days where we go for 3 hours but there are days where we go in 11:30-5:30 which are slightly rough but you have a lot of outside class time. 

Orientation is only one day long. It’s the first day and you go in at 8 and stay forever haha I don’t remember when we finally got to leave but it’s a long day. You get your photo ID made, you meet the professors, and we come in and talk to you guys and introduce you to our cohort and the UCPA club chairs. I can’t remember all that we did that day but it was a good bit and they will scare you with the handbook because in the handbook it’s like if you breathe the wrong way you will be kicked out! But it’s really not like that they just have to read all the rules so that you are aware of them. No one in our cohort has been kicked out and I think only 1 person has been kicked out of the program the last 5 cohorts. Our day was so long because we also had a physiology class that day so depending on your schedule it might not be as long for you. 

Also the program follows the schools schedule so you always have scheduled breaks and scheduled holidays off. Our cohort got 4th of July off but cohort 4 did not so summer is a little different sometimes. But if there is a snow day for the school the program cancels class as well. 

Sorry that is so long!!! There’s just so much info but this is the basics. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure of the total number on the waitlist but I figure it’s 30-60. It always depends on the cohort but there’s a possibility that if you’re high on the list, which I know they don’t give out rankings, you can possibly get in. There’s many people in my cohort that were waitlisted. I know of at least 7 but there’s probably more I just never asked anyone and only know because they offered up the info. Keep your head up!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JLiner said:

I was waitlisted. Does anyone know how many get put on the waitlist or the chances of getting off of the waitlist? I know they don’t give out ranks with the waitlist.

I was waitlisted as well. Fingers crossed that we'll see some movement on the waitlist in the next coming weeks! I would LOVE to join y'all in January!

• Like 2

Hey y'all I'm also from cohort 5 and wanted to answer anyone's questions! Congrats on getting in and for those who are waitlisted don't worry, we had at least 8-10 people accepted off the waitlist because a lot of people ended up accepting offers closer to home. I also live on campus for whoever had a question about that! I live in the townhomes, get on the waitlist ASAP! I was 65 on the list and still got one but it wasn't until like 3 weeks before the semester started. I had another place lined up but hadn't signed the lease and went with this instead!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aparsons said:

So I’m still in didactic. In semester 3 of 4. First semester you have a lighter schedule it started Jan 7 and ended April 26. It’s anatomy, physiology, intro to patient assessment, foundations to clinical medicine, and intro to the PA profession. That semester we had fridays off but usually had physiology tests and pretests on Friday. It wasn’t too bad. Second semester started May 6 and ended August 8. So you only get a week between first and second semesters and second and third semesters. This semester started August 19 and ends December 12 or 13 depending on one of the finals. Then we don’t start back until y’all do in January like the 6 or something so it’s a nice long break. Last semester we also did not have Friday classes and this semester we have only 1 class Friday that’s an hour long so not bad. If Dr. Harris teaches pharm which I’m sure he will, you will have class 4-5:30 twice a week 2nd semester to 4th semester because of his other job. The workload gets heavier as the semesters go on but it’s manageable. From 2nd semester to 4th you’ll always have patient assessment, clin med, integrations, health care issues, pharm, and patho. Then it just depends what other classes there are like now we have surgery and procedures but last semester we didn’t. We had a stats and research course. The next spring semester will end around the end of April but I’m not sure of the actual date. You’re never in class from 8-5 every day though. There’s plenty of days where we go for 3 hours but there are days where we go in 11:30-5:30 which are slightly rough but you have a lot of outside class time. 

Orientation is only one day long. It’s the first day and you go in at 8 and stay forever haha I don’t remember when we finally got to leave but it’s a long day. You get your photo ID made, you meet the professors, and we come in and talk to you guys and introduce you to our cohort and the UCPA club chairs. I can’t remember all that we did that day but it was a good bit and they will scare you with the handbook because in the handbook it’s like if you breathe the wrong way you will be kicked out! But it’s really not like that they just have to read all the rules so that you are aware of them. No one in our cohort has been kicked out and I think only 1 person has been kicked out of the program the last 5 cohorts. Our day was so long because we also had a physiology class that day so depending on your schedule it might not be as long for you. 

Also the program follows the schools schedule so you always have scheduled breaks and scheduled holidays off. Our cohort got 4th of July off but cohort 4 did not so summer is a little different sometimes. But if there is a snow day for the school the program cancels class as well. 

Sorry that is so long!!! There’s just so much info but this is the basics. 

Thank you so much, this clarified a lot. I appreciate it. 

• Like 1