benners2

Eastern Michigan University 2019-2020 application cycle

On 8/6/2019 at 8:49 AM, Shypierce97 said:

received email that they received my application on 7/22 and submitted the sup app tonight

Supplemental app? Do you mean the graduate school application they request all students to fill out?

I think EMU usually starts sending out interview invites around the 19th of September.

I applied during the 2017 cycle and got an interview and waitlisted. I think I flubbed a question during the interview about the program's problem-based learning. Since then I have taken upper-division biochemistry and genetics courses. Last 60 GPA is 3.8, pre-req GPA is 3.9, sGPA is 3.2, GRE 320, prior master's degree in speech-pathology, and 15000 hours experience as a medical SLP treating swallowing disorders. Hopefully it's my turn this year.

Edited by laferri2
  • Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, laferri2 said:

I think EMU usually starts sending out interview invites around the 19th of September.

I applied during the 2017 cycle and got an interview and waitlisted. I think I flubbed a question during the interview about the program's problem-based learning. Since then I have taken upper-division biochemistry and genetics courses. Last 60 GPA is 3.8, pre-req GPA is 3.9, sGPA is 3.2, GRE 320, prior master's degree in speech-pathology, and 15000 hours experience as a medical SLP treating swallowing disorders. Hopefully it's my turn this year.

Good luck! I'm nervous that my GRE scores are going to hold me down... may need to retake. Wasn't sure how to prepare the first time around. What was the time frame between getting the email, the interview and then the determination if you remember? Just curious!! 

If I recall correctly, I think interview invites usually roll out between the middle and end of September. Interviews happen in October. I think I got my waitlist notice in the beginning of November but people were getting accepted before then. Back in 2017 they interviewed like 130 people, accepted 30, and waitlisted 30.

• Upvote 1

On 9/15/2019 at 10:00 PM, laferri2 said:

If I recall correctly, I think interview invites usually roll out between the middle and end of September. Interviews happen in October. I think I got my waitlist notice in the beginning of November but people were getting accepted before then. Back in 2017 they interviewed like 130 people, accepted 30, and waitlisted 30.

Thank you! Good luck to you and everyone applying 

1 hour ago, gallivaa said:

Has anyone recieved an interview invite yet? I heard they usually send them out this time of the month!

Not yet! I read the forums from the last few years and it sounds like they get sent out the last week of September. Almost the last business day... so it's looking like closer to 9/30! I keep checking my email every few hours. Good luck to you. Let us know what you all hear!!!

On 9/20/2019 at 12:22 PM, RMariner said:

Not yet! I read the forums from the last few years and it sounds like they get sent out the last week of September. Almost the last business day... so it's looking like closer to 9/30! I keep checking my email every few hours. Good luck to you. Let us know what you all hear!!!

Back in 2017 I was contacted on 9-27, so hopefully invites will start rolling out by Friday.

I too got an “interview invitation.”

Looks like we will not be hearing back as to exactly how they will be conducted online until after October 11th. 

Good luck everyone!:)

12 minutes ago, CMichPrePA said:

Received an interview today! Very excited!

Do you mind sharing your stats? GPA, GRE score, etc.?

I also got an interview invite today, very excited! Is anyone familiar with the online Kira Assessment online interviews? Was it conducted like this last year? 

No interview this time... But now I've got more time to boost up my resume and take some more classes. I only applied to EMU this time around. Does anyone mind posting their stats who recieved invites?

I got a rejection notice. Last time I was one of the top people on the waitlist, this time I don't even get an interview after taking more upper-division classes.

Good luck to everyone who got an interview, but I am starting to think this isn't going to work out for me.

For those of you who got an interview, do you mind sharing stats? I felt like I had a very strong application but was rejected. Thanks in advance!

9 hours ago, nelayan said:

Do you mind sharing your stats? GPA, GRE score, etc.?

cGPA: 3.84

sGPA: 3.85

GRE: 303; 4.5

PCE: 850 hours as EMT-B at private EMS company (IFTs and 911 calls)

Volunteer: 80+ hours medical mission trip, 24+ hours at a local Girl Scout camp

Leadership/Teaching: Started a student org, 4 leadership positions on campus, Human Anatomy lab TA (~350 hours)

Best of luck to you and everyone else applying! 🙂

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By enorthey
      Hey All,
      I didn't see a thread like this so I thought I would start one!  I just got a letter of rejection for the Post-Bacc Pre med program from UVA.  I applied October 1st.
    • By KarlyLM
      Hello, 
      I’m currently taking a gap year and preparing to apply for PA school when CASPA opens up in April 2020. I have a question regarding direct patient care hours. I’ve been working as a home-health CNA for the past 3 years, racking up 2000+ hours. With that being said, I’ve always had this anxiety eating away at me that home-health CNA’s are looked down upon in the terms of what they’re able to do as opposed to CNA’s working in SNF, hospitals, etc. 
      I’m often misrepresented as a home-health aide even though I have my CNA license. I’m always afraid this will hinder me when applying to PA programs simply because I’m viewed as more of a “maid” than a healthcare professional. However, I do more CNA tasks than what people assume. I have bed ridden clients I care for, I have clients that require lifts, and I have clients that are on ventilators. On the other hand, I do have my fair share of clients that are on respite care and my time is solely spent there as a comforter and person to talk to. 

At a recent open house for a PA school I’m interested in, I voiced my concern for this and they assured me that it’s quality over quantity and as long as I was caring for someone it would suffice them. However, that’s just one of the many schools I’m interested in. With this being said, I also have some volunteer hours working as a CNA in a free clinic in my hometown where I’m doing more of the assessing and treating PA schools are looking for. However, majority of my hours are from my CNA job. 

I chose home health because I knew the company I was going to work for was very flexible with hours and I needed that while I was in college. I’ve been with them for so long and grew so close to patients that I haven’t thought about leaving and going to a hospital or SNF to get more/different exposure. 

I guess my question for anyone reading this is: would you consider my home health CNA job direct patient care? 

• By MeganPrePA
      Hello, I am a high school senior that is interested in becoming a PA. I‘m currently in the process of applying to colleges and would like to know what major would be the best for me to pursue. For a little bit of background, I had originally planned on majoring in Biology because I read that it was the most common route taken for PA school( I’m also quite fascinated with biology itself). However, after researching again, I now plan on getting a BSN so that I'll have a backup job in the medical field just in case everything doesn't go as planned. I've read that majoring in Nursing unfortunately doesn't look good because PA schools will question the student's commitment to the PA profession. Personally, I am certain that I want to become a Physician Assistant but I also want to be able to secure a job in the medical field after receiving at least my bachelors. It also seems as though the medical-related jobs that I could get with a Biology degree wouldn't be very patient care related, which is something that I wish to have in a job. Overall, I feel as though I would prosper in a more health-centered major because it relates more to my passion.
      So ultimately, my questions are:
      1. Between majoring in Biology and Nursing, which is the more advantageous route to take in order to become a PA? 
      2. Is there any true disadvantage to having a BSN when it comes to applying to PA schools? 
      3. Are there any other majors that would be a better choice to study than Biology or Nursing?
      I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can get help me out!
    • By sacharle
      There is an awesome organization called ThePAC (Physician Assistants of Color) that holds diversity events in multiple cities across the U.S. The next one will be in Detroit, Michigan on September 28, 2019. The event is a great opportunity for all three levels of the profession! https://www.eventbrite.com/e/thepac-takes-detroit-tickets-70091765357
      Pre-PAs get to talk directly to program directors from the local/surrounding region (this event will have 7), and get specific advice about their application profile from programs directly as well as experienced PA students and PA-Cs. 
      PA-S  and PA-C get to fraternize and network with each other as well as tap into resources such as job recruiters, financial advisors, and transition to practice information. 
      There are always lots of giveaways such as medical equipment, PANCE/PANRE prep, discounts on scrub companies, and more. 
      This event is open to any and everyone no matter the race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, etc. 
      If you cannot attend this event, give them a follow on IG @thepa.c or FB 'Physician Assistants of Color' so you can get notified of when the next event/location will be. 

• By sunnypits
      I'm starting at a community college. The community college  has a  general biology as a transfer Is this the same as just biology? They have chemistry too. 

Important Information

Welcome to the Physician Assistant Forum! This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. Learn More