Medical Assistant Experience

I am having a hard time finding positions available for a medical assistant without certification. I’ve heard PA students were lucky enough to find ones that offer onsite training. How can I find an opportunity like this? Is it though connections? Or should I go to small clinics or urgent cares and ask them if they are willing to train me on the spot? Is it common for clinics to hire recent college graduates without certification for a medical assistant position? 

Most of these positions are found in Urgent Care Centers. I did it for 3 years for PA school PCE experience...life happened and I pursued a different opportunity.

Submit your applications and during the interview, state you're a fast learner who is willing to put in the work to excel in this new position. 

Good luck!

Edited by Diggy

I actually have my certification and I'm still having trouble finding a job. All the jobs here want you to already have some experience as a MA. Like jeez just give me chance. Idk how people have found jobs without needing a certification, I've been looking at MA jobs for months and have yet to come across one that doesnt require certification.

It probably depends on where you live, but connections absolutely help. I'm in Jersey, and I got my first job as an MA at a family med practice through my mom's friend who was an NP working there. A year and a half later, I got a job as an MA at an ortho practice. Technically my connection was another one of my mom's friends, who's married to one of the surgeons (I had shadowed him in college 3 years prior, and he helped me get the MA job). I've never been certified and was trained onsite for both. Loose connections can make a difference, I think.