Having a baby in PA school

I am a second year PA student (female) due to commence clinical rotations in November (Graduate end of 2020). I wanted some opinions on: 

"Having a baby in PA school". 

I am 31 years old and have been married for 5 years and I feel like I would be able to have a good school/life balance however, am i being completely naive? 

Any advice would be great!

• Like 1

I am a second year PA student (female) due to commence clinical rotations in November (Graduate end of 2020). I wanted some opinions on: 

"Having a baby in PA school". 

I am 31 years old and have been married for 5 years and I feel like I would be able to have a good school/life balance however, am I being completely naive? 

Any advice would be great! especially from anybody who has had a child during PA school. 

I'm faculty; almost every cohort has this happen during the clinical year. The student takes a month off and graduates a month late to do the missed rotation. It sometimes happens in the didactic year, but that's more complicated.

Clearly it takes good family support.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I had a couple of classmates who had babies during clinical year. They both took off 1-2 clinical rotations after the births and their official graduation dates were delayed. 

I would check with your advisor to find out the official policy regarding medical leave before making any big decisions.

Things to consider:

What happens if you don't have an easy pregnancy and need to miss more than 1 rotation (as above)?  Or can't go back to school?

You don't really get maternity leave; you won't get to spend a ton of time with your newborn.

You'd really have to make sure your rotations are set up so you aren't trying to do a surgery rotation right after having a baby (for example).

If you can hold out, do some good family planning and consider planning for a baby right after graduation.

I think you're being naive, personally, but as above, I guess it can be done.  The folks in our program who had kids during school were males, obviously less physical complications to consider.

• Upvote 1