New Graduate Overseas

I am a current student planning to join my husband stationed in Okinawa Japan upon graduating, I would appreciate any advice or insight on finding a position as a new PA grad at the naval hospital system in oki and how possible this will be. That being said, if I am unable to find employment is there any way my career can survive a 2-3 year gap in employment straight out of graduation- will shadowing, volunteering, CME, online courses, doing anything I can to maintain my knowledge make up for this in any way? Is telemedicine ever a viable option for new graduates? Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful with this difficult decision!

I can’t say much about the first, perhaps talk to the base commander or someone.  As far as the second- shadowing and volunteering  does absolutely nothing for your clinical knowledge.  Zilch.  
In fact, every hour you aren’t practicing you are losing.  Cme is nice but you need skills , not necessarily knowledge.  History taking skills, differential identification skills, physical exam skills.  
Why don’t you join up?

• Upvote 2

If you're unable to find a position while there, you would likely have to consider a residency when you return - and even then you'd be up against stiff competition and have a difficult time proving you deserve a spot.  But you'd have a better shot at a residency than with an employer in my opinion.  

The first few years after school are crucial for solidifying your skills and as Thinker said the only way to do that is with a clinical position.

Edited by MT2PA

10 hours ago, kkrussell said:

I am a current student planning to join my husband stationed in Okinawa Japan upon graduating, I would appreciate any advice or insight on finding a position as a new PA grad at the naval hospital system in oki and how possible this will be. That being said, if I am unable to find employment is there any way my career can survive a 2-3 year gap in employment straight out of graduation- will shadowing, volunteering, CME, online courses, doing anything I can to maintain my knowledge make up for this in any way? Is telemedicine ever a viable option for new graduates? Any thoughts or advice would be very helpful with this difficult decision!

Lets try to break it down.

Hiring of civilians on military bases is handled by the personnel office. I don't know where that would be for Okinawa but a little research should yield the answer. I'd start applying now. The civil service officials move at a glacial pace. I applied for a job on a military base and was accepted by the hiring authourity. Then nothing for 4 months until one day I get a terse email from personnel saying "send these documents so we can start processing you" and went on to list everything down to my high school diploma. I just laughed them off.

A 2-3 year gap right after graduation would be a very bad thing. When you graduate you have the most book knowledge you will ever have and the least amount of practical knowledge. 2-3 years later you will still have no more practical knowledge and your book knowledge will have eroded significantly. I don't think shadowing, volunteering, and CME can make up for that. It is something but it isn't like full time work. Also being in Japan those opportunities will be limited.

I don't think telemed is appropriate for a new grad. I could give you a long opinion piece as to why but it just isn't.

Check this out for opportunities and employemnt contacts:  https://www.usajobs.gov/

• Like 1

I was going to send the USA jobs url as well.   As soon as you graduate, take the PANCE, and then get licensed in a state that is inexpensive and does not require you to have a job in order to get licensed. I am going to suggest Michigan but I am sure there are others.  Then apply to USA jobs.  When you get there, explore the medical treatment facilities to find service PAs.  When you find them, ask if there are any areas of need or open slots or even per-diem locums at any clinics.   Get to know the medical chain of command via the internet before you go.  Hopefully your husband is an officer and he can make contacts as well.    Consider one of the new DMSc programs (A.T. Still/Lynchburg). (Full disclosure, I work for ATSU) so it appears that you have been doing something if all else fails.   

Also, check all of the contracting agencies that supply medical personnel overseas.   There are dozens.   Also, if you get some experience, you can apply for government contract locums back in the US for briefer (1-2) stints.    Network the hell out of any military or civilian US PAs or docs you meet working there, don’t be embarrassed.  

Last post.  Google civilian physician assistant Okinawa.  You will see the site of Civpers at the US Naval Hospital main facility and hiring authority in Okinawa.  They have a list of folks they hire including PAs.  Good luck.  

This is one company hiring civilian PAs for the AFB. Keep checking Glassdoor and Indeed for same.  

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/jobs.htm?suggestCount=0&suggestChosen=false&clickSource=searchBtn&typedKeyword=Physician+assistant&sc.keyword=Physician+assistant&locT=C&locId=2867531&jobType=

Edited by rpackelly
Addition