Waiting for interview

Hello everyone, I was hoping y’all could give me some advice as far as waiting for interview invites and the anxiety that goes along with it. This is my second time applying and I was pretty upset last year when I only received 2 invites out of 8 schools. I feel like I’m a strong applicant and I have made significant improvements since last cycle. I just don’t know why some of the programs I applied to are already giving out interviews to some people that have applied after me and have lower stats. I made sure I was competitive with accepted students at each program I applied to as well. 

My stats:

verified: 5/31-6/7 depending on school (13 programs)

cum gpa: 3.67, scigpa: 3.63

pce: 1500 hours ER scribe; 1150 hours auto transfusionist in the OR (responsible for salvaging lost blood during surgery and readministering that blood to the patient) total 2650 hours, only had 1100 hours last cycle 

shadowing: 175 hours (only had 48 hours last cycle)

gre: 302 (unbalanced score..verbal high and quant low)

volunteering: 10 hours (didn’t have time to volunteer much in college in order to work and maintain a high gpa) 

Edited by Hmhguy95
  • Upvote 1

My advice:

GPA: Looks solid and very competitive

PCE: Scribe is still viewed by most schools as good PCE, but be sure that you check. Some schools rank PCE (tier 1, 2, etc.) and those that do have scribe in a lower tier. 2600 is a good amount of hours and is on the mid-range side. This likely isn't hurting you. 

Shadowing: Fine. 

GRE: This may be your issue. If your Quant is that low (less than 40-45%) that will likely DQ you from schools that require GREs. Trying applying to schools that do not require GRE, or retake it. 

Volunteering: Maybe... but I had very little and got a lot of interviews. I don't think a lack of volunteer hours hurts you if you shine elsewhere. This obviously isn't helping your application, but it's debatable if its hurting you. 

So this tells me that you're lacking in your personal statement and/or LOR. Your stats (mainly GPA, PCE) are high enough to get adcom to look at your application, but they seem to be passing over it. LIkely as they "deep dive" they are seeing things they don't like. Be sure your LOR know you well and give you great reviews. Be sure you are genuine in your personal statement and explain why you want to be a PA. 

@Hmhguy95  nice statement. Some feedback. Why do you want to be a PA? Your statement talks about what you do now and that you DO want to be a PA...but WHY? I think that is missing/lacking. 

Suggestions: 

Intro paragraph to introduce yourself and why you want to be a PA...

then, 2-3 paragraphs about your experiences (both life and PCE) and how they have helped confirm/shape your decision to be a PA and how those experiences can help you during PA school and as a practicing PA...these can be stories from your PCE or personal life, etc, but I would refrain from getting into too much detail about the specifics of what you did as a scribe or AT as the question is "why do you want to be a PA?" so, instead, match the skills of these jobs with the skills needed to be a PA and discuss how these experiences confirmed your decision to pursue a PA. 

Conclusion tying together your reasonings for wanting to be a PA, your PCE, and your unique qualities that would make you a good PA candidate. 

This, I feel, will help your statement flow and actually answer the question. Good luck! 

It might be your LOR"s hurting you. Were you able to read any of them? 

I say this time and time again, if you have any doubt about your LOR writers, then they most likely aren't good at all and will hurt you tremendously if they are lackluster. 

I've even spoken with my faculty that sift through apps state how some of the LOR's say really bad things including how the person is not suitable for PA school. So this is why it's important to really know who's writing your LOR's.

Edited by JD2012

@JD2012, I did think about that with my supervisor who I have not worked for that long, but I don’t think he wrote a bad one because I received my first interview invite for an instate school. The pa I shadowed and a doctor I shadowed and known personally for years. They showed me their LORs and they were really good. If I was given one of the first invites from the schools I applied to, my personal statement and lors cant be bad.

• Upvote 1

@Abox85, I know I didn’t really focus a lot on why I want to be a PA since I’m a reapplicant. I got a little caught up in what I have done this cycle and why my experiences would make me a good pa. I did lightly touch on the why question in the conclusion. Do you think this personal statement would hold me back? I mean I know it’s not perfect obviously, but I believe it’s atleast well written and shows my experience and determination. I did receive an interview invite btw, first interview session at the program as well. 

I think you should be grateful you got 2 invites last cycle.  You're an average applicant and it looks like the only thing you improved on from last cycle was more clinical hours which frankly is expected simply because time passes.

You could take more classes to raise your GPA (and continue your learning) and retake the GRE.  I didn't read your personal statement but it sounds like you might have missed a big topic this go-round (the WHY).

The key to any application is to stand out.  Bring something unique to the table.  I don't see that from the admittedly limited information you provided here.

All you can do is wait.  Keep improving in case you have to reapply next year.

@MT2PA, I have a full time job in the OR with call so I can't necessarily take classes unless they are online. I agree with the gre aspect (always struggled on standardized tests, mainly math), but I believe I have a competitive gpa based on accepted stats from many of the programs I applied to. I attached my personal statement if you would like to review it. 

Edited by Hmhguy95

There is no doubt in my mind that your personal statement is the red flag that's holding you back. It is not very well written (just from a first skim, you should never use contractions like "don't" and there are so many semicolons and random double spaces like this: "I  want to be  a PA." Attention to detail matters.) Beyond the proofreading, your first paragraph belongs in your job description in the "experiences" section. The second paragraph reads like a research paper on what a PA is and not why you want to be one. The third paragraph jumps back to your job description. At no point do you actually say why you want to be a PA - you say you can see yourself as one and that the team role "fits like a glove", but that's all. To be brutally honest, the whole thing reads like a first draft. A personal statement should be *personal* (and answer the prompt of "why PA) and yours accomplishes neither task. 

You get closest to beginning to address the prompt with this sentence: "When I face tough obstacles and have to adapt to new situations, I can draw on my past experiences to give me the strength I need to succeed." What past experiences? How have you gained strength through them? These are absolutely crucial questions that I can almost promise you'll be asked at an interview. 

MT2PA absolutely nailed it (as usual) with the comment about standing out. What makes you different? My roommate and I both got into a great school with mediocre transcripts because we stood out in other ways. Maybe you do too, but you haven't shown me that here. Dig deep and do some serious reflecting on why PA and the experiences that brought you to applying. It will benefit you in interviews and, if you need to reapply, in writing a new personal statement. Good luck! 

@nichole96, I actually landed an interview recently at an in state program. I may not be an exceptional candidate and may have not tied my personal statement together as well as I should’ve, but I really wanted to show my commitment and show my work experiences and how they have prepared me for pa school. I think I got caught up trying to prove myself as a reapplicant. 

Edited by Hmhguy95