Pre-PA student with questions

Hi all,

I’m a first year health sciences major deciding between a minor in medical spanish or Pre-PA, and right now I want to pursue a graduate PA school. My question is this, As a PA, do you all have time to focus on your spouses/kids? and Did you get into your first choice of PA graduate school and how? 

Edited by jmcbriddy

29 minutes ago, jmcbriddy said:

As a PA, do you all have time to focus on your spouses/kids? Second, is it a rewarding profession, even with all of the schooling? And third, how much time off do you all typically have?

Ok, gonna say this once: it's not being a PA that limits your time, it's your job and work ethic.  Some people (see what I did there) work very long hours, that's on them.  Some get the job done and are home in time to pick the kids up from school.  Some are very organized.  Some are not.  It's not being a PA.  It's the job.

second, "even with all of the schooling"?  Really?  As someone who has worked a number jobs that did not require "all that schooling", trust me when I say the rewardingness is fairly proportional to the amount of schooling.  Exceptions exist, of course,  but BK required very little schooling, and that job wasn't rewarding at all.

You realize that PAs do all sorts of things, right?  Tell you what.  Shadow a whole bunch, then tell us what you've found.  You will learn it better.  PS I get two days off a week.  I work twelve hours a day.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jmcbriddy said:

Hi all,

I’m a health sciences major deciding between a minor in medical spanish or Pre-PA, and right now I want to pursue a graduate PA school. My first question is this, As a PA, do you all have time to focus on your spouses/kids? Second, is it a rewarding profession, even with all of the schooling? And third, how much time off do you all typically have?

If these are your focus you are not entering the realm of the PA profession with the correct mindset - and therefore it is likely you will not find it "rewarding" and you will struggle to "focus" which will cause you to waste "time" and therefore will struggle to balance "spouse/kids" - but you'll have plenty of "time off."

• Upvote 1