how to explain gaps in employment

I have been unemployed for the past 7 months and I have my first interview this week after months of no success.  My first job I was employed as a hospitalist PA, however, the title of "Scribe" would be more accurate.  I left 6 months in for another rural hospitalist PA job which was the complete opposite. No training. Had 13 patients my first day with no help from the other hospitalist doc on that day. The PAs at this hopsital managed the patients on their own with no conversing with the doc about admission plan or tx plan for any of the patients.  I left and started an ER job 5 months later which was completely toxic.  In the 4 short months I was there, I doc, 3 PAs and countless nurses left.  Two months later I was hired for a privately owned family practice.  I stayed there almost 2 yrs, but they let me go because of not enough pt panel.  This practice lost 30k in revenue because they didn't credential me with the insurances correctly.  They also committed medicare and private insurance fraud.  Since i wasn't credential, they would still have me see patients then would sign my chart and bill it under the doctors.  The MAs were doing the billing and they also had paper charts.  They obviously have no freaking clue how to run the practice.  So, my question is how to I explain these gaps??   I feel like my explanation above, although true is alot of different reasons and a red flag and also, I would be talking negative about my employer for the last gap.  I do have generalized anxiety, mild social anxiety and depression.  I honestly was just going to blame it on this and tell them I am finally getting treatment and it wont happen again.  Thoughts?

• Administrator
4 hours ago, snowdrifter said:

[...] I do have generalized anxiety, mild social anxiety and depression.  I honestly was just going to blame it on this and tell them I am finally getting treatment and it wont happen again.  Thoughts?

Oh, heck no.  Those situations would have given anyone anxiety, don't take the fall for bad working conditions.  However, you want to put a good spin on it,  For example "Credentialing issues resulted in loss of anticipated revenue, and the practice laid me off to reduce overhead" sounds nice, but anyone who knows healthcare knows they screwed up, you paid the price, and you're being nice about it.  THAT is that way I would approach gaps, reasons for quitting, etc.: honestly, yet diplomatically.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3