Actual Cost of Attendance amount (Living expense amount offered)

I am trying to figure out how much money students get for living expenses, etc. (anything besides tuition)

I understand that each school calculates a total cost of attendance based on the area but I was hoping to find more specific information.

Any students out there willing to say how much money they were offered after tuition for living expenses and what school they are attending or plan to attend? I can't seem to find any specific dollar amount.

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much I will be able to take out.

Thanks!

Edited by clbeard

I attended PA school in Connecticut. Tuition was about $15k per semester. Each academic year covers two semesters. For reference, my husband was working full time and was able to support us as time went on during my PA program. 

First academic year I received $20,500 for the unsubsidized loan and $20,890 for the grad plus. 

Second academic year received $20,500 unsubsidized and $17,778. This was lower because we elected to take out less for the grad plus. 

It is always best to talk to the financial aid dept. Once you do the fasfa and the grad plus application, you should pretty quickly see what your aid package will look like. Your total expenses will vary so much on what your individual situation is like, COL in the area and the program you attend. 

• Upvote 1

I mean your school will give you a specific number.  

For example:

UF https://pap.med.ufl.edu/about-us-2/tuition-and-financial-aid/

MEDEX https://www.washington.edu/financialaid/getting-started/student-budgets/

Rutgers https://financialaid.rutgers.edu/cost-of-attendance/rbhs/shp/

Your school should have something similar.  If they don't post it publicly, you should be able to contact the financial aid department and find out.  This varies WILDLY by area and program.  Bottom line, they pick an average amount.  If you're going to be in NYC, they aren't going to budget you $500/mo rent because that's not realistic but they also aren't going to consider something like $3k/mo reasonable either.  My program basically took a 1BR average rent for the area.  I went to school in an expensive city and had more than enough to live in a  safe neighborhood alone, buy real groceries and save money for any thing needed (new clothes, plane tickets, graduation expenses).  Get the specific number from your program.  Our numbers won't help you.

• Upvote 1

Just be careful with schools that are charging out of state tuition. The school I attend charges double for out of state so my instate classmates get by pretty easily/comfortably while me and my wife are looking into private loans/raise in cost of attendance to help with essentials for child care/education. Just food for thought. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, rhall13 said:

Just be careful with schools that are charging out of state tuition. The school I attend charges double for out of state so my instate classmates get by pretty easily/comfortably while me and my wife are looking into private loans/raise in cost of attendance to help with essentials for child care/education. Just food for thought. 

The amount that students are allocated for living expenses is the same for in-state and out-of-state students at most if not all schools. The difference of course is that out-of-state students are allowed to borrow more to cover the increased cost of tuition. When you mention child care though, student loans are meant to be enough to cover living expenses for the student based on the cost of living in the area of the program. They are not supposed to be enough to support other dependents or family members, or many other debts such as a car payment. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dholmb said:

The amount that students are allocated for living expenses is the same for in-state and out-of-state students at most if not all schools. The difference of course is that out-of-state students are allowed to borrow more to cover the increased cost of tuition. When you mention child care though, student loans are meant to be enough to cover living expenses for the student based on the cost of living in the area of the program. They are not supposed to be enough to support other dependents or family members, or many other debts such as a car payment. 

^This is true.  I will say that my program/school did have avenues for requesting additional assistance for childcare - it may not have been as much as someone wanted, but you could try to up your loan amount if you needed to.  That might not be standard but might be worth looking into.