Breaking into new specialty (Derm)

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post. But here it goes... I’ve been a PA doing Hospitalist and ER medicine for five years. I’d like to go into derm but I rarely see any positions advertised. A couple of peers have suggested that I drop into some practices with my resume. The thought of this gives me a anxiety. I don’t want to interrupt a busy practice and am not even sure what I would say. My friends say that it wouldn’t be weird at all. Do I dress up like a drug rep and bring doughnuts? Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

Thanks in advance!

• Administrator

I have no idea how to get a job cold. Of the 6 PA positions I've held so far, I had formal interviews for 2 that were in response to posted ads, a drop-in interview for 2 (one was posted, one was not), and no interview at all for 2 non-posted positions.  The formal interviews were for where I didn't have any social network connection to the practice.  Also, people seem much more willing to hire a part-time PA without a huge production, with the idea being if it doesn't work out, no big deal.

Get involved with state societies, local chapters, etc., and meet people who know people.  It's far less intimidating to say "Hi, XXX said I should ask you if you need a[nother] PA...", is it not?  In my experience, it's easier to turn a moonlighting job into a primary than it is to get a new main job in a new field with no experience.

• Like 1