I am a washington resident and am going to attend a 2 year community college (green river). Im going to take the required pre-requisites courses for the MEDEX program, so here is my plan. After my 2 years of community college i will have an Associates degree. Then transfer to UW to get my Bachelor's but after my 2 years i will also be working as a Nurse to get my 4000 hours of experience completed. Hopefully i will have at least a 3.7 gpa throughout my college courses. Also currently i took some UW in the highschool classes which i paid 300 and something dollars for. The classes i took were ENGL 111, with gpa of 3.7 ENGl131 with gpa of 3.5, MATH 120 with gpa of 3.0 znd HSTAA 235 with 3.4 gpa. I didnt realize these courses were going to affect my college gpa i thought that it would be the same as an AP test, where if you pass you get the credit but apparently it gets calculated with your acumlative GPA. I also took and passed AP gov and AP composition tests which i got a 4 and a 3 on. Does this seem like i a good future plan? Or am i missing something? Any help is welcomed!

Edited by futureMEDEX

sounds like a good plan but be prepared to get more than the min 4000 hrs of hce if you want to get in. the avg most years is around 8000 hrs with many folks having 10-20,000 hrs. I work with someone attending next year who has 20,000 hrs and she is fairly avg for her entering class. most folks who attend medex are in their 30's to mid 40's. you won't see a lot of 22-24 yr olds there.

How can i do more than a minumum of 4000 hours in 2 years? cause i know i can b e practical nurse after i graduate from community college with AA degree. So should i then just countinue and get my bachelors in UW? so i can get paid more? I dont want to get my bachelors then wait a couple years to gain more experience because i might forget some of the stuff i learned and would have to start studying what i previously knew. How likely is it for me to get in with 2 years/4000 hours of experience?

Most applicants accepted into MEDEX did not come straight out of school, even if they were working while in school to make the hours. Most have been out of school working in their field for several years before deciding to go back to school. Going to school to become an RN is a great idea. As far as I'm concerned there is no better bang for the buck than a two year RN program. You can be working as an RN getting great experience while continuing to take classes to get your BSN, often with your employer paying for it. Then you have your bachelors, & enough experience to make it into MEDEX or anywhere else, as long as your grades are good.

UW/Medex has four campuses for their PA program, 2 bachelor programs and 2 Masters programs. I am in one of the bachelor classes which has 25 students in it. A cross section of enrollees....

6 paramedics, all with 10 more more years of experience, 3 RN's, with an average of 8 years experience, several recent military medics/corpsman. The most senior person served a full 20 years, retired as an independent duty corpsman, the most junior person served 6 years, mostly in an ER type setting. There is a surgical tech with around 8 years experience, a former Navy Corpsman who served four years, then went into derm as a MA for a couple of years, a foreign medical student grad who is a refuge from his home country so he couldn't get credentials to be a doctor here, a radiologic tech who did X-ray for 7 or 8 years then when into CT for a few more years....couple of ER techs...so on an so forth.

On the upside for you, their Masters program students have less experience. However, they had their bachelors in hand before they applied.

So if you're heart is set on attending Medex then you may need to re adjust your calendar a bit.

I didn't attend medex but my class makeup was similar to steve's. in my cohort we had 1/3 paramedics, 1/3 rn/lpn folks, and 1/3 folks with backgrounds as rt's, er techs, mental health techs, and physical therapy assts.

avg age in my class was 35. we had a guy who was a navy idc for 27 years. least experienced was 5 yrs as an emt.

• 2 months later...