"Within the past 5 years, have you been diagnosed with or treated for any: psychotic disorder, delusional disorder, mood disorder, major depression, personality disorder or any other mental condition which impaired or does impair your behavior, judgment."

None of your damn business state medical boards......

Providers are human beings.....  Stop treating us like we are not....

This job is tough enough without being shamed for struggling with the emotional pressures of it.  

Edited by Cideous
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

However, I have worked with a schizophrenic doc who stopped his meds and had “episodes” in the office of eating paper, throwing charts, babbling jibberish and being obviously impaired. He needed monitoring, guidance and follow up to be safe seeing patients. He lost his license for a few years and it was the right thing. 

Just as I would not want my electrician to be impaired - I should not be impaired for the safety of my patients. 

Just my thoughts....

• Upvote 1

Psychotic disorders? Sure, they can ask. Nobody wants a manic, paranoid, or delusional provider. But this question essentially amounts to "hey, we're going to judge your medical history and do some thought policing to determine whether or not you're planning on stopping your treatment anytime soon."

Major depression, generalized anxiety, ADHD, etc? Good luck licensing enough providers to meet that healthcare shortage when half the population of providers has one of those diagnoses in his/her history.

I was taught growing up to never, ever, ever, answer that question honestly when it's anything job-related. I stand by that point.

• Upvote 2

I'm still having to answer "yes" to a question regarding neurological treatment w/i the past year for an isolated apparent sz. back in 2011.  I've asked in the past about "new" diagnoses within the past year being a rewording of statement but as usual, crickets.  As noted here previously, PHP in Austin had no clue as to what to do with me at the time when I had been asked to meet with them.  Letter from neurologist said I was good to go without any restriction.

Edited by GetMeOuttaThisMess

"...which impaired or does impair your behavior, judgment."

The above quote is the key to answering this question.   They are not asking whether or not you've been diagnosed.  They are asking if said diagnosis will affect your ability to perform your duties.  They are wanting an honor system answer, and that's what they get from me: no   

In Texas, god help you if you answer yes to that question.  There is an excellent chance you will be taking a trip to Austin for a nice "face to face" explain your depression/anxiety condition to complete strangers session.  Not to mention a delay in your license.  I've seen it happen to a friend of mine.  My point is....think long and hard before checking yes.  

Guest Paula

Does it count if I ran a red stoplight twice in the last month?  I'm stressed due to DH illness, but hope running a redlight is ok and I can answer no. 

Everyone is correct.  The questions are written by lawyers and need to be read carefully. 

"Do you drive fast" (well, yeah)

"to the point you crash into things" (no)

so, the answer to the question is...no.  

"Within the past 5 years, have you been diagnosed with or treated for any: psychotic disorder, delusional disorder, mood disorder, major depression, personality disorder or any other mental condition"

(yes, maybe, answer doesn't matter)

"which impaired or does impair your behavior, judgment." (only important part of the question.  Some of these are obvious, frank psychosis, etc.  But ultimately...does it impair your judgement?)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1