School Equipment

I know this has been address in prior posts but I really want to confirm the consensus with otoscopes/ophthalmoscope. My school wants me to buy the traditional welch allyn for over $400. Many say to get a cheap $100 dollar one since it won't be used past PA school.  Your thoughts? 

My program checked our equipment and it had to meet certain standards.  We also had a few rotations where we had to bring our own (small private practice with limited resources) and having adequate equipment was important.

I ended up selling mine after school to new students (so A: it met program standards for them and B: I recouped greater than 75% of my costs).  

Most likely won't be used after school but make sure you aren't setting yourself up for problems by going cheap up front.

Have you tried reaching out to your senior classmates? They may have some insight on whether the program requirement is a true requirement or something the program never really checks. I think you should try to save yourself some money, so long as your not sacrificing your education. You could always share with a classmate, too. My program has 8+ otoscopes/opthalmoscopes hung on the wall in our PE lab, so do take into account that I did have a way to practice and never needed my own. 

• Upvote 1