UPDATE 7/8: New Grad Offer- Family Practice / Urgent Care

Hi all,

I am finishing up my clinical rotation year, and my absolute favorite rotation offered me a job this week. It is in my dream town, and I've enjoyed working within this healthcare system and staff on my rotation. Small mountain town, population <10k.

It is mainly a Family Practice job, with occasional Urgent Care coverage. My SP seems very reasonable, kind, and interested in some level of mentorship.

The catch is that they can only offer a 0.8 FTE position with a salary of $74k (32 hour work week). At first glance the salary in underwhelming, but I do realize that if the position was 1.0 FTE, it would be over $90k.

HR told me that they anticipate raising the job to 1.0 FTE at some point in the future (within a few years), but will not commit to a timeframe.

Medical Insurance fully covered for me. My wife and son can be on my plan for $700 total. Vision/Dental also available.

401k with 2.5% contribution

No sign on or relocation

$1500 and 40 hours CME

25k loan repayment over 5 years

15 days PTO and 80 hours of floating holiday time off (basically another 2 weeks)

malpractice w/ tail covered

Thoughts.....

Edited by redalienx11
Update

if you can swing it financially, I say go for it. having a great SP as a new grad is SO important and loving your job can be worth a lot mentally and emotionally! you can always stay for a year or two to gain experience and move on if you can't make it work

2 hours ago, ohiovolffemtp said:

Also, if they are providing benefits, consider staying and then picking up a PT UC job once you have some experience.

Good thought- there’s only one other urgent care in a 120 mile radius and they don’t hire often so not sure I could bank on that!

UPDATE: 

I countered with a request to start 1.0 FTE in the next 6-12 months, and to have a $10k sign on bonus to cover me in the meantime.

Their reply came in today: starting me at 1.0 FTE immediately, and a 2500 dollar sign on bonus.

Signing on tonight!

thanks for all the insight and tips.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4